Will Quicken 2017 still run on my upgraded Win10 to Win11 PC (edit)

Options
yodeb163
yodeb163 Member

I am currently running Quicken Deluxe 2017 on a Windows 10 computer.

If I upgrade to Windows 11, will this version of Quicken still work?

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Your issue is not a Windows 11 issue. It is a Quicken 2017 issue. When Quicken 2017 is reinstalled or newly installed it generates a new Quicken.ini file that is not compatible with/supported by Quicken's current server and/or Cloud Account requirements.

The only fix to this (and it is not 100% successful) is to copy the Quicken.ini file from the old computer and paste it to the new computer (replacing the newly generated Quicken.ini file).

You can read more about this (including how to perform the copy/paste process) in the following, long but very informative, thread:

This issue affects all pre-subscription Quicken editions with Quicken ID requirements: QW2014-QW2017. There are quite a few other post threads in Community about this issue.

Since you have the old computer and Quicken still works on it, you can try doing the copy/paste process (copying the Quicken.ini from your old computer and then pasting it over the Quicken.ini on the new computer) to see if that fixes the issue for you. If it does, then great! But if it doesn't, you can take some comfort in knowing that you can still use QW2017 on your old computer.

Whether or not you plan to try doing the copy/paste process I would strongly suggest that you at least copy that file from your old computer and archive it somewhere for potential future use. There is a risk that at some point in time your old installation will stop working and having the current Quicken.ini file saved somewhere might be a godsend if/when that happens.

@yodeb163 - I do not know if this Quicken.ini file would affect you since you will not be reinstalling QW2017. The upgrade from Win 10 to Win 11, IMHO should not cause any change to the Quicken.ini file so I would think your QW2017 would continue to function but I do not know that for sure. If I were in your shoes I probably would not do the upgrade to Win 11 until such time that there is some important need to upgrade to Win 11.

When you do decide to upgrade to Win 11, you might want to copy your current Quicken.ini file to some other drive (a thumb drive would work) or some protected folder or Cloud storage site before doing the upgrade. That way if the upgrade to Win 11 does cause your QW2017 to stop functioning you can try pasting that copied Quicken.ini file over the one that no longer works. Perhaps that will restore your QW2017 functionality so you won't need to upgrade to Quicken Subscription.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Others have reported that Q still works on Win11

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• yodeb163
    yodeb163 Member
    Options

I don’t plan to reinstall it. Just upgrade the computer to Windows 11. Do you think that will be ok?

• DMBANK
    DMBANK Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

Hi, just got a new computer running WIN 11 Pro, updated. I installed Quicken 2017 Deluxe on this machine (same as my old machine which is running the same OS), backed up data and imported. After entering password, I momentarily see my data and menu's then I get a white screen stating that I need to contact support. I have tried re-installing, re-backing up. It still runs on my other machine. I do realize that Q 2017 is unsupported, however, I am really happy with this version and do not want a subscription service. Is there something I am missing? Thanks

• yodeb163
    yodeb163 Member
    Options

I have Quicken 2017 running on an existing computer. I was thinking about upgrading this computer to Windows 11.

So I was wondering if Quicken 2017 would still work (as I would not be re0installing it).

• Boatnmaniac
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Your issue is not a Windows 11 issue. It is a Quicken 2017 issue. When Quicken 2017 is reinstalled or newly installed it generates a new Quicken.ini file that is not compatible with/supported by Quicken's current server and/or Cloud Account requirements.

The only fix to this (and it is not 100% successful) is to copy the Quicken.ini file from the old computer and paste it to the new computer (replacing the newly generated Quicken.ini file).

You can read more about this (including how to perform the copy/paste process) in the following, long but very informative, thread:

This issue affects all pre-subscription Quicken editions with Quicken ID requirements: QW2014-QW2017. There are quite a few other post threads in Community about this issue.

Since you have the old computer and Quicken still works on it, you can try doing the copy/paste process (copying the Quicken.ini from your old computer and then pasting it over the Quicken.ini on the new computer) to see if that fixes the issue for you. If it does, then great! But if it doesn't, you can take some comfort in knowing that you can still use QW2017 on your old computer.

Whether or not you plan to try doing the copy/paste process I would strongly suggest that you at least copy that file from your old computer and archive it somewhere for potential future use. There is a risk that at some point in time your old installation will stop working and having the current Quicken.ini file saved somewhere might be a godsend if/when that happens.

@yodeb163 - I do not know if this Quicken.ini file would affect you since you will not be reinstalling QW2017. The upgrade from Win 10 to Win 11, IMHO should not cause any change to the Quicken.ini file so I would think your QW2017 would continue to function but I do not know that for sure. If I were in your shoes I probably would not do the upgrade to Win 11 until such time that there is some important need to upgrade to Win 11.

When you do decide to upgrade to Win 11, you might want to copy your current Quicken.ini file to some other drive (a thumb drive would work) or some protected folder or Cloud storage site before doing the upgrade. That way if the upgrade to Win 11 does cause your QW2017 to stop functioning you can try pasting that copied Quicken.ini file over the one that no longer works. Perhaps that will restore your QW2017 functionality so you won't need to upgrade to Quicken Subscription.

• yodeb163
    yodeb163 Member
    Options

Thanks so much.

• DMBANK
    DMBANK Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

Installed Quicken 2017 on a new machine, unfortunately, it gives me the white screen of death. My account opens briefly before the blank screen with help info at the bottom.

Also cannot find my program key

Love this version, not interested in a subscription. Any ideas?

• Boatnmaniac
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hi @DMBANK . I see you have not seen my reply to your post about this yesterday. Here is the link to the thread you posted in and to which I had replied yesterday: Quicken 2017 Deluxe and Windows 11.

As mentioned in my reply there, you will need copy the Quicken.ini file from your old system over the Quicken.ini file in your new system in order to get your Quicken 2017 to work in the new system. That process does not always work but it is the only one that has been reported to work at all (other than to upgrade to Quicken Subscription).

• Aviator
    Aviator Member ✭✭
    Options

About a year and a half ago I migrated my Quicken 2017 to another Windows 10 computer. I fired up operated fine. I am not trying to migrate to a new Windows 11 computer. Followed the procedures outlined in this thread. Quicken 2017 fires up, asks for the PW on my file, but it shows the file a "N/A", has some numbers in the columns, but all the accounts in the file has the name "N/A". I have tried numerous options layed out on thread and in this site with the same result.

Has anybody experienced this and/or have a fix?

Really appreciate any help.

• Aviator
    Aviator Member ✭✭
    Options

Sorry for the poor wording in the previous comment. It should have read "I am now trying to migrate to a new Windows 11 computer". Also, unfortunately, I am looking at other options to Quicken. I have been a dedicated Quicken user and advocate for years and years, but I am not a cloud user or a user of online SW. I like my data to be secure on my computer. Going to test out other options.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Aviator any time you start seeing n/a for account names or payee names it means the data is damaged. Do you have an earlier backup you can try?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Aviator
    Aviator Member ✭✭
    Options

I am using the data file, and backup file, that I have copied from my Win 10 computer where it works with my quicken. I have Quicken 2017 on both my tower computer and old laptop and the data file works. It is only the new Win 11 that I have the issue. I will copy it and try again.

• Aviator
    Aviator Member ✭✭
    Options

https://community.quicken.com/profile/mshiggins Thank you for your quick response. I backed up my QW2017 data file to a stick and then opened it from the stick with the QW2017 on my Win 11 computer. WALA, it worked. I did this before and had the problem, albeit I moved it on to the Win 11 computer. Can't identify where the snafu was but it works now. It probably was me (not a sharp as I once was). Your info on what N/A meant helped. Some more background on what I tried, after I installed QW2017 on Win 11 computer, are:

1. Copied Quicken.ini from Win 10 computer to Win 11 - Data file opened with N/A in file name and account names, blank entries, but values in the number fields.
    2. Copied Config folder to Win 11 computer - same result
    3. Copied whole Quicken folder to Win 11 computer (different stick) - same result w/ same data file
    4. Backed up the working data file from the Win 10 computer to a stick, open it, from the stick, with QW2017 on the Win 11 computer(no other application mods or patches) - everything restored and all correct.

On more reflection, I think it was the first stick I used. I used a different stick for the second B/U transfer used in step 4. I should have known better by step 3.

Thanks again. Have a great day, you made mine.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited July 2023
    Options

I'm glad the copying of the old Quicken.ini file from your Win 10 computer and moving it to your Win 11 computer worked for you. It works for some people but not for others so you are fortunate. I suggest you make sure to keep a copy of that old Quicken.ini archived somewhere just in case you ever need it, again.

FYI: Quicken Subscription is still a personal computer-based program and your data files are saved solely on your computer, just like they always have been. It is not an online SW and never has been.

Almost all competitor products are solely cloud based programs with the financial data not saved on the computer. I know of only one competitive program that is also solely computer-based and it is more expensive and has fewer features than Quicken.

Quicken does have Quicken Mobile and Quicken on the Web which are companion apps allowing one to view and maintain some of their financial data in Quicken on their smart phone or Internet browser. Setting up and turning them on does put a lot of the financial information into the Cloud Account but using these features is totally optional. Don't want that? Then don't turn Mobile or Web on.

BTW, in case you are not aware, you have been using a Cloud Account. All Quicken products since at least 2014 require a Cloud Account to be associated with any data file. However, since you have not been using Mobile or Web nor downloading transactions via EWC or EWC+ connection methods, your financial data is not being synced nor saved there. When Quicken is used manually, that Cloud Account is mostly just a means that allows Quicken.com and your Quicken installation to communicate with each other regarding license, subscription status, installed version and edition, etc.

This discussion has been closed.