USAA Credit Card Account Showing As Checking (Windows)

Options
System
System Member admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: USAA Credit Card Account Showing As Checking.

Comments

• BRE66
    BRE66 Member ✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

Same Here. On June 22, last time Quicken downloaded USAA credit card transactions. Reset account to fix. Now it thinks is is a checking account, so I can't link it to the existing one I have in Quicken. [Removed - Rant]

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @BRE66,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Do you have multiple USAA credit cards? If so, is this happening with all of them, or just with one? Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• BRE66
    BRE66 Member ✭✭
    Options

Kristina,

Thank you for the response. Only one credit card with USAA, Quicken is on my local hard drive and not synced with OneDrive or any cloud service. When I try to setup the online services, Quicken only gives 2 choices Checking or Savings, so I can't link it to my existing credit card account in Quicken.

Thank You.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

To check for file specific issues that may be causing the wrong account type to show, I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• stappmeyer01
    stappmeyer01 Member ✭✭
    Options

I attempted this as my USAA Credit Card is also showing as checking when attempting to activate the one step update.

The validate and super validate did not correct the issue. It even pulls the wrong nickname.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @stappmeyer01,

Thank you for joining the discussion. On the screen you show in your screenshot, if you change Link to existing… to Add to Quicken, does it let you change the account type?

When did the issue first start happening? Do you recall which version of Quicken you were using when you noticed the issue? Is this happening only with your USAA credit card account? If you have more than one credit card through USAA, is it affecting all of them, or just this one?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• stappmeyer01
    stappmeyer01 Member ✭✭
    Options

Today I received another message regarding USAA connection type changes on 8/7/23 so I thought I'd try this again. To answer your question @Quicken Kristina; If I select "Add to Quicken" it allows the account type to be selected of checking or savings. (Never credit…and this is a credit card account.) This has been happening since May or earlier. I only have this one credit card account at USAA (and no other accounts)

Thanks

• stappmeyer01
    stappmeyer01 Member ✭✭
    Options

Different attempt….

Today I created a NEW Quicken file. I then added the USAA as the first and only account. It added and downloaded the past 1.5 years transactions. Previously I tried to add the account to my existing file, with the same results as above.

I do not know what this means, but with no other accounts, it appeared to add correctly and was NOT linked to my checking account.

Have a good weekend.

Steve

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

If it works in a new file, but not in your current file, that may indicate a file specific issue. If you haven't done so already, I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• stappmeyer01
    stappmeyer01 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks @Quicken Kristina . I have Validated and Super Validated without a change. When time permits I am going to test the follow:

1. Create a new file and add a checking account.
    2. Add the USAA Credit account manually. Then I am going to try to enable online services.

This will be more similar to my current situation.

I will share my results.

• stappmeyer01
    stappmeyer01 Member ✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina I tested as previously described.

1. New Quicken File
    2. Added Checking account.
    3. Added Manual USAA Credit Card account.
    4. Enabled Online Services. It detected correctly and allowed me to link to the correct account. (I.e. Operated as expected)

Conclusion: Likely an issue with existing Quicken Data file. (Yes it has been validated and super validated with no change.)

What to do:

1. Nothing as the file has many other accounts with years of valuable history. (Manually updating USAA account)
    2. Restart with a new file. (Losing history.)
    3. Any other options that I am missing?

Thanks

• lkknfsldj
    lkknfsldj Member
    Options

I have had this same issue for quite some time (6 months…more?). It used to download properly for many years then suddenly, no more. This is an issue between how Quicken and USAA systems communicate following and upgrade on one end or the other, not corrupted files. This needs to be resolved, Quicken is too costly to only "mostly" work.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply @stappmeyer01,

There are a couple of other things you can try. Depending on how long ago this started, restoring a backup from before the issue started may be a viable option.

Another option is creating a copy of your data file, which will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.
    If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates.

It's important to know that all online services will be disconnected in the copied file, and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

If the issue is not resolved in the copied file either, then feel free to switch back to your original file.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• stappmeyer01
    stappmeyer01 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion I will take a look at this when I have some time. I have been a long time Quicken user and I know my data file has entries back to 2001. (File is currently 42MB+). Creating a historical archive file and then grooming to include only the past 10 years may help with performance and reliability.

• stappmeyer01
    stappmeyer01 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hi @Quicken Kristina I created a copy and selected including transactions from 1/1/2010 to present. (removing 4/30/2001-12/31/2009).

This did NOT correct the issue. When I attempt to setup the USAA credit account to download, it still prompts with the Checking account. The Link to existing does NOT allow selection the correct account. I am going to create another copy with only the last 7 years (IRS retention recommendation). Update: Selecting 1/1/2015 to present did not change the condition.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Due to the nature of the issue, I recommend that you contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation as needed.  The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

• stappmeyer01
    stappmeyer01 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank You @Quicken Kristina you have been helpful and thorough. I will consider contacting support, but I fear their only suggestion is to start a new data file.

Thanks again.

• BRE66
    BRE66 Member ✭✭
    Options

The obvious answer seems to be to allow Quicken users the ability to override the choices of checking or savings and select credit card. Either USAA is sending the incorrect data making Quicken believe it is a banking account or Quicken is misinterpreting the data sent.

This discussion has been closed.