schwab re-invest option not logging shares

Options
leonard kearney
leonard kearney Member ✭✭✭
edited August 2023 in Investing (Windows)

above is what shows in Quicken

below is what shows on Schwab

Quicken share count is way off. I guess i fix manually?

is this a bug?

Len

Answers

• Q97
    Q97 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Since you’re reinvesting dividends, I would just manually Edit the Div transactions and change them to ReinvDiv (similarly change CGShort to a reinvested short-term gain). Ideally, the download should also include a corresponding Buy (or just a single ReinvDiv), but there’s nothing you can really do about that.

• leonard kearney
    Options

i tried editing the transaction - the system would not dislay the REINVDIV code. i had to select the trsaction, go to EDIt on file line (top line) select TRANSACTION and then EDIT TRANSACTION and i can make the change.

I agree there is an issue with no "buy" transaction- but quicken will say it is schwab and schwab says it is quicken. I have previouls requested the ability to view the downloaded transactions so i could narrow down who to pester.

• leonard kearney
    Options

I spent two hours on the phone with Schwab and they tell me the buy half of the transaction has a 0 in the cost filed and that Quicken is ignoring the transaction. this is what i see

8/15/2022

Reinvest Dividend

SWVXX

SCHWAB VALUE ADVANTAGE MONEY INV

$224.48

8/15/2022

Reinvest Shares

SWVXX

SCHWAB VALUE ADVANTAGE MONEY INV

$1.00

($224.48)

per Schwab i need to call Q (650-250-1900 opt 3) and ask for Tier 2 escalation. I did. Well, Q does not allow calls to TIer 2 or to IT. The Q rep would only say this was a known issue and there was no resolution AND Schwab has to call them to initiate a correction.

is ther a client advocy group at Q?

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"I spent two hours on the phone with Schwab and they tell me the buy half of the transaction has a 0 in the cost filed and that Quicken is ignoring the transaction. this is what i see"

I assume "filed" = field, but that sentence still doesn't make sense. If you're treating SWVXX as a "security" in your file, then the Buy should be "seen" by Quicken the same as any other security - # of shares x per share price - and there's no "0" in that equation. What you posted looks exactly what I see at Schwab

and the "Buy" aspect comes into the file correctly.

What seems to be happening here is that your file has been set up to elect to NOT treat SWVXX as a security but instead treat it as cash which is in line with Quicken's original default position as outlined here:

Of course SWVXX isn't really cash and having handled as such in your file could lead to problems. So if you look at your Holdings screen do you see SWVXX as a separate line item among your securities, or is it included in the "Cash" line?

• leonard kearney
    Options

Hi Tom Y

sorry about the typo, the comment from the Schwab rep was that the cost field was zero and quicken was tossing the transaction. When I look at the CSV extract I don't see that, but i assume he is looking at the actual file they send to quicken.

I do not have SWVXX as a securityh in quicken, but it does show as a security in schwab.

I re-read the quicken announcement, and i completed the detach and reattach, but i still see SWVXX and SWGXX transactions coming through.

• leonard kearney
    Options

i pulled june transactions from a bond fund and exported them. here is an example of what the issue may be.

the 6/15 bond interest payment shows as a deposit and generated a buy - working correctly

the 6/16 cash dividend from Schwab appears to short circuit this and only post an "add shares' value. Quicken likely sees there is no cost and skips the transaction.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

OK, the Schwab rep didn't really know what he was talking about, at least from the standpoint of how Quicken is interpreting things. Your file is treating SWVXX as "cash" and that's what you need to change.

The question about how you want to treat SWVXX, if I"m remembering correctly, comes up when you're required to authorize (or re-authorize) Schwab to allow access to Quicken.

I think what you need to do is to go to the Schwab site and click on "stop linking to all accounts."

You might want to contact Official Quicken Support to confirm this as it's been a while since I went through this pain.

• leonard kearney
    Options

thnks, i am working with Arianna (Quicken Office of the President ) - she tells me they are implemting a fix.

Len

This discussion has been closed.