Why can't Budget use the category for reinvestment of capital gains? (edit: Q Mac)

Options
Barbara O'Keeffe
Barbara O'Keeffe Member ✭✭✭

There is a category for income for capital gains that are reinvested, but I can't use that category in Budgeting? The IRS considers that part of the income for the year, so part of our income doesn't show up in the budget for each month.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

Short and Long Term capital gains reinvested ARE available to you both in the Budget and in Reports. Just click on the Manage Budget Categories button:

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Tom Young This was a Quicken Mac question, and your reply is for Quicken Windows.

@Barbara O'Keeffe There have been some longstanding bugs in Quicken Mac regarding this issue. Last I checked , Reinvested Long-Term Dividends show up as income in the budget, as expected, but Long-Term Dividends paid in cash do NOT show up in the budget. (I'd need to do some tests which I can't do tonight, to see if this is still the case. )

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Barbara O'Keeffe
    Barbara O'Keeffe Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, there is a category for Long Term Capital Gains, but that isn't the same category as Reinvested LongTerm Gains Category, which you can choose when entering info when in the Investment area. Both are used when tracking investments (and show up with their associated tax details when I looked at the All Categories list, but the reinvested LT or ST Gains don't appear to be available in the list of available Categories when editing the Budget.

This discussion has been closed.