Weird/hard to read fonts in category reports in latest 7.1.1 version for Mac??

Options
shermanator100
shermanator100 Member
edited August 2023 in Reports (Mac)

Why have the fonts changed and are so hard to read in the Category Detail and Summary Reports in the new version of Quicken Premiere 7.1.1? The transactions are in a compressed bold and the headings/titles are in a super thin, faint grey font. This is the report that I've been using for years to send to my accountant because it uses Categories for multiple businesses and Tags to categorize each transaction within each business. All the other reports give you one or the other but not both in a way that is readable.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@shermanator100 You posted about this same issue about two weeks ago:

As I noted at that time, yours is the only report I've seen like this, so I believe it is something local to your Mac. Meanwhile, I suggested you try a report using the modern reports engine instead of the old report you are showing. Have you done so? I don't know if that will solve your problem, but it's worth trying if you haven't tried it yet.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • shermanator100
    Options

Thanks. This problem started for me with the new update 7.1.1. I never had it before. I checked my fonts and reinstalled Quicken. I had their tech support on twice and they couldn't fix it either.

As far as using modern reports, unfortunately, they don't work for me. I have multiple businesses that share bank and credit card accounts. So I use Categories to separate my businesses and Tags to categorize the transactions for each business. The new reports organize the page with the tags going horizontally, with 3 tags per page when exported as a PDF. They are good for either categories or tags but not both. It's impossible to share with my accountant. So I have a problem that I can't solve And that is why I reposted this question because I was hoping that a Quicken employee could help. Unless I am missing a new way of doing this, I have to use the old reports and see if I can fix it.

Best,

Pat

• shermanator100
    Options

Ok. Good News! I opened up Fontbook App >Settings>Advanced> and selected "reset fonts". Problem solved. The category reports look perfect like before.

• jacobs
    Options

Glad to hear you got it resolved! It sure sounded like something was amiss with your fonts rather than Quicken, so it’s good you found and fixed it.

• jacobs
    Options

@shermanator100 I guess I'm unclear why the columnar report, with categories as rows and tags as columns, doesn't work for you. Do you have a lot of companies? I just built a report which has 4 tags (companies), untagged, and total — 6 columns plus the categories. It's easy to read on-screen, and by clicking the "Scale to Fit 1 page wide" checkbox in the print dialog box…

the result is fine when I print it:

It does put a lot of space between columns, which is annoying, but it's certainly good enough to give to your accountant. Alternatively — or if you have a lot more companies — with one click you can export the report to a spreadsheet, where it's easy to clean up the formatting to whatever degree you want to bother with it. (For an accountant, just the unformatted spreadsheet is likely good enough.)

And as an added bonus, the new report will total each tag (business) column, something you don't get with the old report which only shows tags as if they are sub-categories of specific income or expense categories.

The only reason I'm pursuing this is that I fear your continued use of the old Category Summary report will result in incorrect data you're reporting at some point. I've seen many cases where users documented missing transactions in the Category Summary report. (The developers said long ago that they planned to remove the Category Summary report from the program, but to do so the likely have to build a converter for any reports using the old code which users may have saved, and that's obviously not been a high priority for them.) You might want to try creating the new report and just checking to see if all the totals match what you're getting with the old report; if yes, then be happy you're lucky not to have been bitten by whatever bug exists in the old report; if not, you'll see the need to address this asap.

Okay, that's it! I won't continue to bug you about this — I just wanted to take one more shot at helping you avoid potentially bad results with that old report. 😀

This discussion has been closed.