Need to open QDF file from Swiss Tax authorities

Options
anandd
anandd Member
edited August 2023 in Before you Buy

Hello

I am a UK resident and I need to reclaim withholding tax from Swiss tax authorities. Unfortunately their forms are QDF extension files. I have looked up on the web and I understand I need Quicken to open these files. It seems a big waste to buy a software just to open a form. Any suggestions?

if there is no recourse but to have Quicken then what would be best / cheapest way to do this?

Thanks

Best Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Quicken is not currently sold in either the UK or Switzerland. I would be very surprised if the Swiss were using Quicken files.

Are you sure they are not Adobe PDF files?

QWin Premier subscription
  • anandd
    anandd Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

The issue is resolved. I could open QDF files with Snapform viewer.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    Options

Quicken is not currently sold in either the UK or Switzerland. I would be very surprised if the Swiss were using Quicken files.

Are you sure they are not Adobe PDF files?

• anandd
    anandd Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

The issue is resolved. I could open QDF files with Snapform viewer.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is more than one type of QDF file? I thought QDF files were only for use with Quicken financial software. What is this QDF file type that is a form file and can be used with Snapform?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Jim_Harman
    Options

The Snapform QDF (Quick Document Format) is apparently completely separate from Quicken's QDF (Quicken Data file)

https://www.w3-edge.com/wp-content/uploads/examples/snapform.com/markup/qdf-format.html

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

This is a 1st for me. I do not think I have ever seen a single file extension being used for 2 totally different programs. Actually, perhaps at least 4 totally different programs ( https://fileinfo.com/extension/qdf ):

• Quicken (proprietary financial reporting format)
    • SnapForm (competitor to Adobe's PDF form format)
    • Teklynx (Label Matrix design format)
    • Quadro (engineering design format)

I'd always thought that a file extension could only be used with one type of file but apparently I was really mistaken about that.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Jim_Harman
    Options

There has never been a registry or a way for an application to reserve DOS/Windows file extensions, just common usage. Consider the "Open with" option in Windows Explorer or the Default Apps setting for Windows.

The Mac world is much cleaner in this regard.

This discussion has been closed.