Anyone can open my files?!!!!

Options
Volcano
Volcano Member ✭✭

I have been using Quicken ever since its first version. I always used a password to protect my files. Then a few years ago the developers required you to log in with your Quicken account login, when you first open Quicken and periodically thereafter. It stopped asking me to enter a file password when I opened my file so I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that the login was required to open my files and a file level password is no longer required.

I sent a test file to a friend who is also a heavy Quicken user and much to my surprise he was able to open it without my login or any kind of password. What is going on here? Are all Quicken files now open for anyone with their own login to read them? How do I protect my files in case they are stolen?

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Volcano,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. If you do not put a Data File password on the file, then yes, it is possible for others who have access to the file (such as someone you share the computer with or someone you send the file to) to be able to view the contents. If you want to add a data file password to your file, you can do so by going to File>Set Password for this data file…

Select Set a custom password, then put in the password you want to use, confirm it, and click OK.

Please note that the Data File Password is not the same thing as the Quicken password you use to log into your account.

You can view this article and this article if you'd like more information about what passwords you can set up in Quicken.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Volcano
    Volcano Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you Quicken Kristina.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

You're welcome. If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.