Why isn't my cleared data showing in the reconciliation window?

Options
Mary G
Mary G Member ✭✭

I am using Windows Quicken for Home and Business, just updated minutes ago. I want to reconcile my B of A credit card statements. I click Reconcile. I enter the charges, payments, and balance due, for reconciliation to the paper statement. The Reconcile window that displays shows only a handful of items and they are not within the scope of the statement I'm reconciling. It does not display the many cleared items that are in the register. This is happening with two B of A accounts. I checked a Chase account and Quicken is showing all the cleared entries in the Reconcile page. PLEASE help!

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you for your reply and for posting the screenshots,

The ending statement date is the last day of the billing cycle. By putting in an ending date of 19 Oct 22, Quicken will show unreconciled transactions from 19 Oct 22 and earlier in the reconcile window. The transactions from 20 Oct 22 and later would not show up in the reconcile window unless you changed the ending date that you're putting in on the initial reconcile setup window.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Kristina
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I'm happy to help. If you need further assistance, please feel free to reach out.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Quicken Kristina
    Answer ✓
    Options

If Quicken isn't automatically recognizing that they match, then you would need to match them manually. Most of the time, when it doesn't match the transactions, its because there's something different between what was manually entered and what downloads (such as the amount being different or the Payee being just different enough that Quicken doesn't recognize its the same).

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Mary G,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Quicken uses the Posting Date when determining what falls within the date range for reconcile. Sometimes that date can be slightly different from what you see in the Date column. The Posting Date column isn't visible by default, but to view it, go to the settings gear icon at the upper right and click on Register Columns.

That will bring up a window that shows all possible columns, with checkmarks by the ones that show in your register. Near the bottom of the list, you should see an option for Downloaded posting date. Click the box next to it to select it, then click Done.

Once you have made the column visible, you can check to see if the Posting Date is pushing those transactions outside the timeframe for your reconcile. If the Posting Date is the culprit, you can edit it by right clicking on the transaction, holding down the control key (CTRL), and clicking on Copy transaction(s). This should bring up a window that will let you edit the Posting Date.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• Mary G
    Mary G Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for responding, Kristina. Unfortunately, that didn't help at all, although I've learned how to view the posting date. No, the posting dates match the Date column dates in all the cases. This happened a short while back when one entry wouldn't show up in the Reconcile window. I just did a balance adjustment to make reconciling work. But this is impossible. I have probably 40 or more entries. Some of the items showing in the Reconcile window are completely out of range with the dates for reconciling. I hope you can help further. Thank you.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

To be able to assist further, I'd need to be able to see what is happening. If you are willing, would you please post screenshots of the initial Reconcile setup window (where you fill out the statement ending date, verify the prior balance, and put in the new ending balance), what shows up in the reconcile window, and some of the transactions that are not showing up (making sure to obscure or blur out any personal information, since this is a public forum)?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Mary G
    Mary G Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, here are screen shots. Please note the dates in the Reconcile window. They aren't even within the dates entered in the Initial Reconcile window. These show the problem with one credit card. I have another that displays some, but not all, of the correct items in the Reconcile window. I hope you can help me.

• Quicken Kristina
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you for your reply and for posting the screenshots,

The ending statement date is the last day of the billing cycle. By putting in an ending date of 19 Oct 22, Quicken will show unreconciled transactions from 19 Oct 22 and earlier in the reconcile window. The transactions from 20 Oct 22 and later would not show up in the reconcile window unless you changed the ending date that you're putting in on the initial reconcile setup window.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• Mary G
    Mary G Member ✭✭
    Options

Oh my goodness! I always note "rec [date]" on the paper statement. I didn't even look at the date on this statement because I hadn't marked it, but yes, it's already reconciled. Thank you SO MUCH! I marked "no" for the answer being helpful, and I wish I hadn't been so quick. It should be a YES - and thank you again!

• Quicken Kristina
    Answer ✓
    Options

I'm happy to help. If you need further assistance, please feel free to reach out.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Mary G
    Mary G Member ✭✭
    Options

I do have another question. I enter many of my transactions manually because I want to note in the Memo column what they are for (e.g., a medication, clothes). Then, when I download from the bank, I say to "accept all," it looks like instead of matching them, Quicken adds all the transactions. I end up with duplicates. It doesn't seem to me it used to do that. Do I need to "match" each individual item?

• Quicken Kristina
    Answer ✓
    Options

If Quicken isn't automatically recognizing that they match, then you would need to match them manually. Most of the time, when it doesn't match the transactions, its because there's something different between what was manually entered and what downloads (such as the amount being different or the Payee being just different enough that Quicken doesn't recognize its the same).

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Mary G
    Mary G Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you. I think I should stop shopping.

• Mary G
    Mary G Member ✭✭
    Options

I hope you can help me with a new problem. Actually, there are two problems, but I'll start with this one. I have an established set of categories, which is how I can see where I'm spending money. When I download from my bank, the category column now shows the bank from which I'm making the payment. For example, if I have an automatic payment to a radio station via a credit card, and the money comes from the checking account, the checking account shows in the Category column. I want the category to be "charity" or "gifts given." What can I do? Thank you for your help!

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Mary G - From your description, I wasn't sure if the "credit card" was actually also a debit card for the checking account? if so, depending on how you have your downloads to post in Quicken, you have two ways you can update or correct that category. If you have it set up where you see the downloaded transactions in the window below your register before they are posted, just click on the transaction in the download window. You will then see it show up in the last row of your register and then you can make any changes you need before you post the transaction. If you post the transaction before you made any changes, just go to the transaction in your register and "edit" it. If you have it where your transactions are posted directly to your register, you can edit the transaction in the register.

This discussion has been closed.