How can I repair a corrupted data file?

Options
jbm02
jbm02 Member ✭✭

I have a corrupted data file (quicken premier for windows) where one account does not report an accurate security value n net worth calculations or in the sidebar ie it does not correspond to the market value of the sum of all stocks. If I delete the account and reactivate it the error goes away, but I lose all transactions for the past 20 years, being left with only the last 2 years of data. My question Is there a way to delete that past 6 months of information in an account and then download the correct data" NOTE None of the visible transactions appear incorrect and price histories are correct.

I had consideded adding the account back into quicken under a new name and then trying to merge the two accounts. is that possible?

I have tried the reconcile and repair options already.

Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @jbm02,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. This article goes over the steps you can use to try to correct data file issues.

You can manually delete the past 6 months worth of data in the account. It would be a good idea to backup your file first so that if anything unwanted happens, you have a backup to revert back to. If one of the transactions from the last 6 months is the source of the issue, then this action may correct it. Otherwise, it is unlikely to fix the issue.

You are able to add as a new account under a new name and then merge the accounts. To do that, first, backup your file. Then, you would need to deactivate the account. Once it is deactivated, go to Tools>Add Account and follow the prompts. On the Add/Link screen, make sure that it is showing "Add to Quicken" instead of Link to existing. Once you have added it as a new account, to merge the two, you would need to copy the transactions from the old account that didn't automatically download into the new. (Note: if you cannot see an option to view the transactions, go to Tools>Account List, click the Edit button next to the account, and on the General tab, make sure "Complete - Positions and Transactions" is selected.).

Copying/pasting transactions from investment accounts is a bit different from copying/pasting transactions in a regular banking account. You would need to go to the Action gear icon at the upper right of the register and select Move Transactions.

That will bring up a Move Transactions window that should let you select the transactions you want to move and will have a dropdown near the lower right to let you choose which account to move them to.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jbm02
    jbm02 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks This gave me the tools I needed. I was able to move transactions out of the corrupted file in blocks of several months until the value corrected. To make this work, you move 3 months transactions into a dummy account for saving and then validate the file. once the totals agreed, I knew the transaction was in the last deletion and I worked backwards. Thanks again

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I'm glad to hear you were able to track down the issue and get everything working again. If you need further assistance, please feel free to reach back out.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.