Fidelity NetBenefits transaction download is all "Unidentified Security" (edit)

Options
BarryMo
BarryMo Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2023 in Investing (Windows)

Today I did a transaction update to get the most recent reinvestment activity and every security(about 8) in the accept downloaded transaction panel is Unidentified.

I have made not changes in investment options.

Any idea on what to do here?

I also accepted one and cannot change it to a correct security.

Best Answer

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files and screenshots attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.    

(CTP-7302)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• BarryMo
    BarryMo Member ✭✭✭
    Options

My wife has also has a 401k via NetBenefits and the same thing happened with her account. I wonder if the identifying data that allows the security in the most recent download to match to an existing Quicken security has changed.

• BarryMo
    BarryMo Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

Looks like the new transaction have a diff cuspid

• sserge
    sserge Member ✭✭
    Options

I also ran into the same issue. The download used to work fine, but today it downloaded 68 transactions all for an Unidentified Security. The CUSIP ID seem to be different in the downloaded transactions and the security list.

Accepting one of them added it straight as the Unidentified Security without asking me to match it to an existing security. I was able to change the security to the correct one for that transaction manually, but I hate to have to do it for all the 68 that were downloaded.

Is this something that changed with Fidelity or in Quicken?

• BarryMo
    BarryMo Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Both my and my wife's 401k are impacted by this and we work for two different companies.

I endured a torturous call with Quicken support this week and the ended up saying it was a Fidelity issue and I should call Fidelity and ask them to fix it. They said it was not part of

I find them asking me to call Fidelity a bit ridiculous since I have an expectation that Quicken should have a relationship with financial institutions, especially large ones like Fidelity. I asked to speak to a supervisor and when he looked at my problem he thought it was part of the known issue and that I should wait for a fix. It is unclear to me where the problem lies. I do know the CUSPID seems to now be a little different which would imply a Fidelity issue but Quicken could be just mangling their data. Either way, I could not match it to an existing security.

I did end up calling the 401K team at Fidelity anyway, and they took the information and said their IT team would research and I would hear back in 7 - 10 business days. The Fidelity rep had no clue what Quicken was (or even a CUSPID) and I had to endure a list of irrelevant questions (e.g. browser version). It guess it would not hurt for you do so the same thing.

• sserge
    sserge Member ✭✭
    Options

I think that kind of run-around is exactly what I expected from both the Quicken team and Fidelity. Thanks for escalating this issue with them though. I'd appreciate if you post any updates when/if you hear from either of them.

I ended up biting the bullet and manually updating the securities on all downloaded transactions. I was able to do it right in the registry without opening a details form for each transaction. That, and the fact that the security name is right in the memo field, helped with that process a lot.

The way I see it is Fidelity has changed the CUSIPs on their securities (at least for the Quicken download), and Quicken just cannot handle that properly. I doubt that Fidelity can fix it in any way other than reverting the CUSIP changes, so we should just pray that Quicken fixes the way it handles it (ideally automatically matching it to the old security and/or updating the CUSIP with the new one).

• M  C
    M C Member ✭✭
    Options

I have the same issue. Waiting for a fix. I don't want to have to manually input the securities every two weeks (when my paycheck funds my 401k).

• BarryMo
    BarryMo Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Glad I am not alone!

• Vbfaker
    Vbfaker Member
    Options

I have had the same issue with my 401k this month. Have been manually updating the downloaded transactions which thankfully are not numerous.

Additionally one of my fund’s transactions are not even downloading. I have to manually enter them.

Something got messed up this month for sure.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files and screenshots attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.    

(CTP-7302)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• MechEngr
    MechEngr Member
    Options

I now recently experiencing the same issue, fidelity security downloading as unidentified. The screeshots shown in this thread exactly describe my issue….on going for a couple of weeks started around the time of a new update it seems….??

• Linda L
    Linda L Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Both mine and my husband's fidelity accounts have transactions downloading but they are all labeled unidentified security. I can see in the description of the transaction what security it's supposed to be for so after I accept the transactions I now have to go edit them to make sure there's no mismatch. This just started this week and i'm using R50.16 on my windows 11 home computer. I haven't changed anything in the past week so I'm really confused why this started happening. Anyone have any ideas?

[Merged Post]

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

Are you referring to Fidelity Investments or Fidelity NetBenefits?

[Merged Post]

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Linda L
    Linda L Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Fidelity NetBenefits does it make a difference?

[Merged Post]

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

Yes, it makes a difference. Fidelity Investments and Fidelity NetBenefits might both be under same umbrella company but they each have their own websites, operations and investment offerings. Fidelity Investments primarily works with individual and institutional investors and mostly has offerings that are available to the public. Fidelity NetBenefits manages businesses retirement plans (such as, 401k's and Roth 401k's) that are not available nor sold to the public. Also, Fidelity NetBenefits might include some securities that are publicly traded but often times the securities are specific to the 401(k) plan. Even when the 401(k) security has a name that is identical to a publicly traded security it often does not share the same CUSIP ID and has different share pricing.

So, in Quicken each is a separate Financial Institution (FI) with their own online services setup links. And each has their download parameters and potential download issues.

That all being said, your posted thread has been merged into another one that sounds like is about the same "unidentified securities" issue. You might want to read through this thread to confirm this.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• MacombRoger
    MacombRoger Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

For the last 2 updates from Fidelity for our 401 and 403, "buying" is downloading as "Unidentified Security". It has happened now for 2 periods on each account. Not sure how to resolve this.

Windows, version R50.16 Build 27.1.50.16
    Account: Fidelity

Happens via one step update.

Thanks!

[Merged Post]

• Scott
    Scott Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

I have the same thing occurring. I noticed this occurred in history as well where it used to be fine. I'm on Windows 11 on the most current version of quicken, 51.x.

Have created new test database files But the downloads come in the same way. As a matter of fact most of the data comes in is an unidentified or wanting to have placeholders.

Seems strange that this issue keeps coming out. Cuz when I open up quicken the first thing you see is the fidelity's name on the splash screen.

• BarryMo
    BarryMo Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

Fidelity called me back and said this is a Quicken issue.

[Removed - Disruptive]

• Scott
    Scott Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

I opted to call the number for Fidelity that Quicken provided. In my testing only Fidelity NetBenefits data gets messed up. I should be getting a call back before long. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the issue is with Quicken. Been using Quicken since the mid 90s and have found that's where the issues typically lie. Too often I have to resolve the issue myself.

For what it's worth it doesn't seem to matter much how old the data is. I imagine there is risk the older and bigger the Quicken dbase file gets however. I started a new one this year and have had more issues this year, accumulatively, than I have had in recent years. I don't mind calling in but often do not get anywhere.

Update, the contact I spoke with at Fidelity said it is an issue at the quicken end. He told me he checked with their software group and the developer group and said the data is fine.

• BarryMo
    BarryMo Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I am so annoyed that Quicken positioned this with me as a Fidelity problem. I will not say more since they will just redact my comments.

• Scott
    Scott Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I don't know how they are going to fix this. I tried to download a .qif file from Fidelity but the problem is I can only go back so far. The transactions look fine but then my balance is short as it doesn't have the full history. I hope we don't have to manually do a ton of corrections. I had issues earlier this year with Fidelity NetBenefits so I deleted the account and started over using the Quicken update. I didn't notice there were place holders put in for 04/2023.

If I try to delete the 401k account now and start over and use Quicken to update/download then just about everything shows as Unidentified Securities. When looking at the transactions it looks like data is getting imported into the wrong fields. The security name shows up in the memo field. Somehow the balances were showing up okay (maybe they are using place holders?) until this week for me. Now it shows I have $15k more than I actually do in my 401k. Ha!

• Jack Riashi
    Jack Riashi Member ✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

Over the past week, I've noticed there is a problem with Quicken identifying the mutual funds in my Fidelity Netbenefits 401k downloads. There were no problems until the week of July 17. It recognizes the activity and lists the fund name in the description, but it says "unidentified security" where the name of the fund typically resides. Short of having to manually change every buy/sell transaction, is there an associated problem and will there be a fix? Thank you.

[Merged Post]

• 23-yrQuickUser
    23-yrQuickUser Member ✭✭
    Options

The same thing started happening to me July 10. The CUSIP from Fidelity changed on all eight mutual funds from a 4-digit to a 9-digit. Quicken asked if it matched a current security (and it correctly guessed which went with which), and I told it yes. But it still shows as "Unidentified Security."

• PegasusT4
    PegasusT4 Member ✭✭
    Options

I have the exact problem with Netbenefits starting, I think, on or just before 7/7/2023. I noticed it on my last Netbenefits download. Since Quicken apparently now knows about the "Unidentified Security" issue I'll just wait for a resolution. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem.

• Wayne104
    Wayne104 Member ✭✭
    Options

Just as another data point, i started encountering this a few weeks ago. Even WORSE, I somehow edited the Unidentified Security with a random descriptor, and now ALL the downloaded transactions have that description. Ridiculous. I'd rather have it as 'Unidentified Security" until they fix it.

Is anyone aware of how/where to edit it back?

• BarryMo
    BarryMo Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I think you need to wait to see how this gets fixed. You will probably have to change the security on the hosed transactions.

• Wayne104
    Wayne104 Member ✭✭
    Options

I think you're right. I allowed one of the misnamed securities to get added into an account. Then I found that security and edited some of the details. Fortunately in the notes section of each transaction it does list specifically what security that transaction is supposed to be attributed to.

• jesy_yeates
    jesy_yeates Member ✭✭
    Options

I am on three weeks with this issue no resolution. Let's go Fidelity and Quicken. Please get on the phone and talk this trough.

• gdhodder
    gdhodder Member
    Options

I have this as well. I was able to create new securities and move all the monies to the 'new' ones to get the number of funds correct, but new downloads still come as unidentified.

I am able to edit the downloaded transaction to the correct security (which is in the 'memo' field) a pain in the butt to do every 2 weeks, but it is working as a stop gap for me

• lfventura
    lfventura Member
    Options

The same problem started in July 2023 with me… getting an Unidentified Security on all of my Fidelity NetBenefits holdings. Very frustrating given we are paying an annual subscription for support with Quicken. Someone please fix ASAP. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.