Autocategorize Existing Transactions

Options
sdzie
sdzie Member ✭✭

I am new to Quicken.

Question: Does Quicken offer a method to recategorize past transactions for a Payee using the (future) auto-categorization rules in the Memorized Payee List? If not, are my manual recategorization steps below the best way to do so?

Background: I imported transactions for the past year and a half. I am now categorizing all past transactions. In the Memorized Payee List, I updated the Payee Hulu to use a new Category: Entertainment:Streaming. This auto-categorizes future transactions.

For past transactions, I can manually recategorize them with these steps:

1. Search transactions for Hulu
  2. Highlight all transactions
  3. Click on: Edit (menu), Transactions, Edit Transaction(s)
  4. Replace Category with Entertainment:Streaming
  5. Click Replace All

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @sdzie,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. For past transactions, Quicken does offer a recategorize tool (review this article for more information), but I don't think that tool would meet your needs since it searches by category rather than payee.

For what you are trying to do, the Find/Replace tool you've been using is the best option.

I also recommend reviewing this previous discussion on the topic since there is a lot of good information on how to set up Preferences to get Quicken to do what you want for future transactions as well.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.