Verifying info before I buy regarding multiple users

MountainwoodCottages
MountainwoodCottages I do not have Quicken yet Member

Hello,

Would appreciate some verification…

I am going to have a book-keeper enter my business expenses monthly onto quicken. That's the only thing I need it for. Expenses. LIke utiIities, supplies, etc, etc. I have 2 seperate vaca rentals in two seperate llc's and so I need to seperate the expenses. SO from what I have read, I can buy a subscription, download to my computer and my book-keeper can sign onto my account and download quicken to her own computer. She will be entering all the info on her computer. I can sign on (not while she is on) my computer and look at what she has entered. Is that correct? I'm not concerned about her having my password and account info because it's only to record expenses.

Thank you!

Best Answer

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl Quicken Windows Other SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

NO. You can not have multiple users in Quicken. You have 1 data file on a desktop computer and would have to move it back and forth between computers. That can cause a lot of problems and get out of sync. It is not in the "cloud". You should look into Quickbooks. That is a real accounting program and is more robust for business.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• MountainwoodCottages
    MountainwoodCottages I do not have Quicken yet Member

Thank you however on the website Quicken says it can "be installed on multiple computers. " I"ve read somewhere that it also can be used by different people if they sign onto my account.

I only need software for organizing and recording expenses. Nothing more. No bill pay, no income, no invoices. Quick books is too expensive for what my purpose is.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl Quicken Windows Other SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Maybe someone else will reply and tell you how. You might be able to utilize the Mobile App.

https://www.quicken.com/blog/how-use-quicken-mobile-companion-app/

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

You can install Q on multiple computers … but that's for separate users. You're asking for "signing into her computer" and Q can't do that.

Your proposal would result in 2 different datasets, which would be a challenge to keep in sync.

I think that your best bet is 1 copy of Q, on her computer and viewing you using a remote viewing product to see what's happening on her computer.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

@MountainwoodCottages - I think even Quicken or Simplifi might be "overkill" for what you want to do. If all you are doing is organizing and recording expenses, how about using an Excel spreadsheet? You can easily share the spreadsheet by using the *Share* command in Excel to upload it to OneDrive and give your bookkeeper access to it. OneDrive is the cloud storage built into Windows and used with various applications for sharing information.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

Quicken is designed as a computer based program to be used on a single computer. Yes, there are some ways that can be used to share the data file with a 2nd person across different computers but quite frankly one small slip up in managing that process can corrupt the data file in a way that is not recoverable. Yet, some people still attempt to do it, anyway, and I often wonder how many have been able to successfully manage the sharing process without corrupting the data file. If you do decide to still head down this path I have one strong recommendation: Backup…backup….backup….frequently (at least after every session) and hang on to the backup files for at least a couple of months.

I think you might be best served by looking for a Cloud-based platform so that anyone can access and update the data from anywhere without concern of corruption.

Quicken has a Cloud-based sister platform called Simplifi. It is not as full featured as Quicken and but it does have some limited Business features. You said you have very simple business requirements so maybe that is something you might want to consider. You can see a features comparison chart at https://www.quicken.com/product-selector/reverse-nst .

If Simplifi will not meet your needs you might want to conduct an Internet search to see what other Cloud-based platforms might be available for a reasonable cost.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R58.9 on Windows 11

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

take a look at - Simplifi -
    totally web based and multiple users can access -
    but not as robust as desktop Quicken

https://www.quicken.com/simplifi/

This discussion has been closed.