Recording Corporate Spinoffs

Options
Flying99
Flying99 Member ✭✭
edited August 2023 in Investing (Mac)

Hello,

I hope someone can help answer this problem. I am trying to record a Corporate Spinoff, but the dialog boxes don't make a lot of sense. So, MDU spun off KNF on May 31 as a new company. The ratio was 1 new share for every 4 shares owned. So, when I go to try to enter this, I have a box which asks for "cost per old share" and then "cost per new share". Since this is a new company there is no cost for old shares, and which cost do I enter for cost per new share since they didn't actually cost me anything.

I tried entering this for MDU, but as this is a dividend reinvestment plan the program generated over a hundred entries and I have no idea whether the data is good or not. [Frankly I don't really want to see this breakdown, it would be great if it could be done and held in the background.] Can someone please walk me through this? I should be every so grateful.

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"I have a box which asks for "cost per old share" and then "cost per new share"."

Window user here.

You (Quicken) allocate cost between the parent co and the child co based on the value of your holdings of each right after the spin off. What you need to do the calculation is the number of shares of each company after the spin off (# of shares stays the same for parent co, # of shares of child co depends on the ratio used for the deal) and the parent's and child's per share fair market value. So what those boxes REALLY are asking for is that "per share fair market value" number.

The Windows spin-off wizard has similar (confusing) wording and I think they just used that same terminology in the Mac version.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Tom Young There is NO feature/wizard for corporate spin-offs for Mac. Sigh! It's a point of consternation and anger for many Quicken Mac users; the Idea thread for such functionality has 130 votes, but remains stuck on "Under Consideration" status.

I therefore think @Flying99 is a Quicken Windows user describing Quicken Windows, not Quicken Mac. Can you confirm if that's the case?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.