How do I get correct renaming rules

Options
kudzhoo
kudzhoo Member

I'm using Quicken deluxe, Windows 10 home, Version R50.16. Quicken is renaming transactions in a manner that makes no sense. For example, a recent transaction for a purchase from Zaxby's was renamed in the Downloaded Transactions list as "Tesla / Tesla premium connectivity." The Tesla transaction is a routine monthly transaction for the same dollar amount and is entered through the reminders feature. I do not have a renaming rule for this. To make matters worse, I right clicked on Revert to original payee and it changed to "Zaxby's / Tesla premium connectivity".

I've tried deleting all renaming rules. In Preferences, all the boxes under Downloaded transactions / Your renaming rules are unchecked. However, it still continues to rename transaction incorrectly.

How do I fix this?

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Try un-checking the setting at Edit > Preferences > Downloaded transactions > "Automatically apply Quicken's suggested name to payee" That should prevent Quicken from changing any Payee names while downloading, but you may like some of Quicken's changes. If so, you can leave this option checked and under Renaming Rules, you can create "Do not rename" rules for individual payees. I don't use this, but a Do not rename rule should prevent Quicken from changing the downloaded payee name.

Also check your Memorized Payee List and if it has an entry for Zaxby's, make sure it does not have Tesla Premium Connectivity as the Memo. You could take the opportunity to clean up other entries in your Memorized Payee List, removing unwanted Memos and checking the Lock box for Payees that you do not want Quicken to change each time you use them.

To prevent future clutter in your Memorized Payee list, go to Edit > Preferences > Data entry and Quickfill and un-check Automatically memorize new Payees. Also check Remove Memorized Payees not used in the last (I set it to 18) months.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

Did you check your Memorized Payees?

Also, you can check to see what was actually downloaded by the financial institution by going to Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Register Columns > check the box for Downloaded Payee > Done. This will add a column to the register showing what Payee info was actually downloaded so you can compare that to what the standard Payee column shows.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.