Use of OneDrive

Options
Bertilak
Bertilak Member ✭✭✭✭

In the past I had some data integrity errors with the Quicken data file and was STRONGLY warned that I should NOT put the Quicken data file on any shared storage as Quicken does not support that.

Just today someone told me they put their data file on OneDrive and never have any problem and this is because they select the file's option "Always keep on this device." Can anyone corroborate this information? It does make some sense to me.

Does anyone have experience keeping their data file on OneDrive?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

When you use that "Always keep on the device" option for OneDrive, a copy of the document is saved on your computer in the local OneDrive folder. It works because the data file is being accessed from the local folder and not from OneDrive's cloud storage. The "Always keep on this device" option is typically used so you can have offline access to your document.

New installations of Windows will automatically create the OneDrive folder and default your Desktop, Documents, and Picture folder to be located there. So even if you aren't using OneDrive your Documents folder is a sub folder of the OneDrive folder. So even if you see your Documents folder located in the OneDrive folder, it doesn't necessarily mean that you are using the OneDrive cloud storage.

• jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have kept my data file on OneDrive (and previously on Dropbox) for years with no issue. I have the folder always keep on the device and I pause syncing while using Quicken. Again, Quicken recommends not doing this but as said above, never had issues.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@jfclague as you stated you need to pause OneDrive when using Quicken. If you remember to always do this, then that's great. But it is easy to forget to do so. The sync process takes a while sometimes and you have to remember to keep OneDrive paused when the Quicken file is still being accessed after you close the Quicken data file. I have learned personally that OneDrive is very sluggish when working with a Quicken Data file. A backup to the OneDrive cloud storage can take a very long time, especially if you have a large file. Any interruption during that process will corrupt both the data file and backup.

The other thing is you cannot know when data file corruption takes place. Data file corruption is something that can happen little by little over time. If use OneDrive and forget to pause, or even if you do and a file conflict causes your file to freeze up and you need to exit Quicken by a Ctrl-Alt-Del, it may look like your data file was unharmed, but over time, it all adds up. By the time the corruption becomes apparent, it is usually too late to fix. So therefore, why even take the chance by putting your data file on OneDrive cloud storage?

If you use the "Always Keep on this device" option that might be a safer option. But, even so, the Quicken Data file is too important to me to even take that chance.

• AlexisoftheShire
    AlexisoftheShire Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I don't use OneDrive because I use Google Drive. However, years ago I had significant issues with my quicken data file on Google Drive. The quicken data file was always corrupted. I was told to move the Quicken data file to the Windows Downloads folder since that folder is never synced with Google Drive (not sure about OneDrive). Quicken opens the quicken data file and is continuously opening/closing it during the Quicken session. When Quicken closes the file during a Quicken session, Google Drive tries to sync it with the cloud and when Quicken opens the file during the same Quicken session, the file gets corrupted.

Ever since I moved the quicken data file to the Windows Downloads folder I haven't had any problems. Before closing the quicken program I take a back up of what changes i made using the Quicken back up keystrokes of CTRL-B. When quicken is closed I then cut and paste the Quicken backup to Google drive which then saves it in the Google Drive cloud.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Bertilak,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. I would recommend reviewing this article for more information about why we do not recommend keeping your active Quicken file on a cloud drive (like OneDrive, Dropbox, etc).

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Randy 415
    Randy 415 Windows Beta Beta
    edited July 2023
    Options

My Win 11 Pro and OneDrive recently forced me to upgrade and started automatically syncing my "Users" folders which includes all my local accounts on my PC, including the Documents folder in my user account. And Quicken data is by default installed in that folder in a sub-folder called Quicken. So now my QDF is synced to OneDrive by default and I have no way to turn it off unless I override all defaults of both Quicken and Windows OneDrive. And that might break OneDrive. I use OneDrive. I like OneDrive. I would rather not have to break it. So far, it works.

Hoping we can get Quicken data file to work with OneDrive and other cloud sync processes. It is the way of the future, and the future is here.

• jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I always make sure I pause syncing, have made is a habit. My data file is only 125MB and I don't save attachments. OneDrive has version history for 30 days so if I have an issue, I can revert back to an earlier version.

Like I said haven't had issues for years but I understand Quicken doesn't recommend this.

• Bertilak
    Bertilak Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

I agree that the Quicken data file is important so am reluctant to mess with a working situation (keep it off of OneDrive).

IF I got a LOT of encouraging words here I might be encouraged to carefully experiment. Still waiting!

I appreciate all the responses.

This discussion has been closed.