Finding Duplicates, "Account no longer exists"

Options

I had to recreate several years of books for an audit. Previously, I had reconciled three accounts fully, and then when I went to do other accounts, I noticed the balances were way in the negative. In looking at them, there are several duplicate transactions that have appeared going back to 2015!!

There will be a line with a transfer, the account in the category. If I right click and click "go to matching transfer" I get the error ""The transfer transaction is to an account that no longer exists in Quicken"  which supposedly was corrected in 2020!!

I can delete the account in the category, save it as a blank (no category), then add it back. When I do that, it locates the matching transaction and asks if it is the same, which I confirm, then I can delete the other one.

So, without going through ALL of my accounts which have easily over 75 transactions (usually 125ish) per month, is there a way to find duplicates? These are often the same amounts ($1000, 10000, etc) from an operating account to a payroll account, so it isn't easy to manually do it.

The only other way I can think that may be quicker is exporting to excel and running a macro to find duplicates, but that takes time as well.

Hoping someone has hacked this!

Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @savvymom,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. There isn't an easy detect duplicate function in Quicken. If these are all transfers, then maybe using the Find tool will help. Edit>Find, select category, then the category you want to search for, click Find All, and it will bring up a window showing all transactions with that category. You can click on the column you want to sort by (Date is generally the default). Once you find a duplicate, you can double click on it to be taken straight to where it is in the register (the search results windows will generally minimize towards the bottom left of Quicken, and you can click on it to pull it back up after you're done editing or deleting the transaction.

Another option, if the original transactions are reconciled and the duplicates aren't, you may be able to sort by the Clr column. That may make the duplicates stick out since they would be older transactions that have not yet been reconciled. Note: If you don't have a Clr column, you can click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of the register, select the Register columns option, the put a checkmark next to Clr and click the Done button.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.