Transfer Shares & Combine Securities Between Investment Accounts

Options
Deaj
Deaj Member ✭✭
edited September 2023 in Investing (Windows)

Using Windows 10 & QW2016.

I've read closed discussions on this forum, answered by Jim_Harman (6/2019) & jacobs (4/2021). I sincerely hope I've not missed some obvious solution, but I've done my best so far to figure this out.

I need to accomplish 2 tasks: (1) merge 2 investment accounts (with 20 years-worth of entries) in the same file into one account; each account has the same securities. (2) I also need to combine the securities. In the past, I've kept the security names different by naming them thus: Bristol-Myers-A, and Bristol-Myers-B.

I tried the "Shares Transferred Between Accounts" action for all securities in one account, which did not work as desired: in the transferred-to account, the transaction showed up as one transaction, even though on the detail view all related transactions were listed. I was unable to change the name, since Q reported name already in use.

Changing the security name before the transfer did not work either, for same reason as above.

Best Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You have not indicated a "why" you are doing this. The Shares Transferred may will be the right tool.

Alternatively, you might be interested in moving the existing transactions from Account A to Account B. That van be done by right-clicking on a transaction in Account A and then selecting the Move Transactions. BACKUP FIRST! Pay attention to the various options at the bottom of the Move Transactions window. I am personally biased toward using the Shares Transferred function.

As to combing the securities, my first choice would be the edit each applicable transaction to change the security name.

Your other reasonable option as I see it is to enter a Corporate Acquisition where Bristol-Myers-A acquires Bristol Myers-B (or vice versa) at a 1-to-1 ratio. This could be done before or after 'merging' the accounts.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If account A is to be deleted, I recommend moving the transactions as I suggested earlier.

To combine the -A and -B versions into one security, because there are only 5 -A transactions, I recommend editing each of those transactions to instead refer to the -B version. That can be done before or after moving the transactions to account B. Start the editing with the oldest transaction first.

After all transactions refer to the -B version, you can delete -A security. I would then edit the -B security to drop the unnecessary appendix.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If there is a way to change the names for several transactions at one time, please advise. Otherwise, thanks for the help!

No such way.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

There is no way to change the names in bulk, but if you highlight and copy the new name then past it over the old name with a Ctrl-V, it goes quickly.

QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

" in the transferred-to account, the transaction showed up as one transaction, even though on the detail view all related transactions
    were listed."

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're saying here. The "Shares Transferred Between Accounts" typically creates an Added action for each lot of each security, so what the heck is that "one transaction" in the "to" Account? I can't visualize what's going on here. A picture would be helpful.

But then you also say "on the detail view all related transactions were listed" and I don't know what "detail view" you're referring to here or where it is. It sort of sounds like all lots in the "from" Account ARE listed in the "to" Account's Holdings screen?

• Deaj
    Deaj Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for your help, Tom. Yes, I can see that's poorly explained on my part. Since I didn't save the test-file I was using at the time, I'll have to repeat the procedure I used. I'll take screenshots & re-post soon

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You have not indicated a "why" you are doing this. The Shares Transferred may will be the right tool.

Alternatively, you might be interested in moving the existing transactions from Account A to Account B. That van be done by right-clicking on a transaction in Account A and then selecting the Move Transactions. BACKUP FIRST! Pay attention to the various options at the bottom of the Move Transactions window. I am personally biased toward using the Shares Transferred function.

As to combing the securities, my first choice would be the edit each applicable transaction to change the security name.

Your other reasonable option as I see it is to enter a Corporate Acquisition where Bristol-Myers-A acquires Bristol Myers-B (or vice versa) at a 1-to-1 ratio. This could be done before or after 'merging' the accounts.

• Deaj
    Deaj Member ✭✭
    Options

Here's the steps I have taken in an attempt to transfer one security from account A (to be deleted) to account B (keeper), then combine them:

1. Select "enter transactions" on transactions main page for account A ("AD Securities").
    2. Select action "shares transferred between accounts"> in window select "Bristol-Myers-A" as security & account B ("JSD Securities") as transfer account & "All" in transfer method box.
    3. Action runs successfully, with result below (one entry only) showing in account B transactions main page:

Opening "Security detail view" for "Bristol-Myers-A" (click on icon next to name) in above transaction, gave me the following:

After this transfer, any attempt to change the name of this transferred security in account B is defeated, because an attempt to change the name of the same security in account B results in same-security-name error message.

So, to summarize, the transfer between accounts works fine (moving security history also), but I can't combine the securities once they are in the same account.

BTW, if it matters, there is no download of any kind set up for this file.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If account A is to be deleted, I recommend moving the transactions as I suggested earlier.

To combine the -A and -B versions into one security, because there are only 5 -A transactions, I recommend editing each of those transactions to instead refer to the -B version. That can be done before or after moving the transactions to account B. Start the editing with the oldest transaction first.

After all transactions refer to the -B version, you can delete -A security. I would then edit the -B security to drop the unnecessary appendix.

• Deaj
    Deaj Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks. I can do that, I think. However, there are many more transactions than 5 (I only tested one security.), so I'll start & report back as to result.

• Deaj
    Deaj Member ✭✭
    Options

Started the process, beginning with oldest transaction on each security in account A, by changing name to same as account B for each transaction. This has worked so far. I plan to transfer shares after all transaction security names have been changed.

If there is a way to change the names for several transactions at one time, please advise. Otherwise, thanks for the help!

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

No such way.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

There is no way to change the names in bulk, but if you highlight and copy the new name then past it over the old name with a Ctrl-V, it goes quickly.

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.