Tax Planner Exemptions Broken

Options
buttersh
buttersh Member ✭✭

When I enter 2 dependents on the "Dependents" field, it shows my exemption deduction as zero. I saw another post saying that that is because there is not currently a child tax credit. But there is - currently $2000 per child for 2023. And when I use the IRS's withholding calculator, it does give me the $4000 exemption for 2 kids, and not surprisingly, a difference in tax due of $4000 when compared with the Quicken tax planner. Is the Exemptions function broken in the tax planner, or is there somewhere else in the tax planner where I am supposed to be taking the child tax credit? Thank you all in advance for your help.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hello @buttersh,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you!

(CTP-7519)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• buttersh
    buttersh Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Kristina,

Done.

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

FWIW, that line item for the personal exemption is not and never was associated with tax credits. It was for Personal Exemptions that were temporarily deleted in 2017 and will return in 2025 unless congress intervenes.

• buttersh
    buttersh Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hi markus1957,

Thank you for confirming that. And I don't see that personal exemption on the IRS withholding calculator, so it's just the child tax credit that isn't working.

This issue is extra frustrating because I have been way over-withholding for a good part of this year due to this error.

Lee

This discussion has been closed.