How to re-install QWin 2015/2017 - on Mac with Parallels (edit)

Options
2»

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

For that he needs a copy of the real installer for Quicken 2015.

EDIT: One thing I know for sure is that you can't use a Quicken 2015 Quicken.ini unchanged for licensing a Quicken 2017 program.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Pilot135pd
    Pilot135pd Member ✭✭
    Options

I think I've tried everything but I don't want to give up. I'm going to try every possibility again one by one with Quicken 2017. It sucks that I don't have the 2015 program so I won't be able to use that one which should be the most straight forward. Since I have 2015 installed on Windows 10 on the old laptop it should run on Win 11 on this one. We'll see what happens with 2017 and I'll report back. I'll start tomorrow, just got back from driving 13 hours to pick up a friend, and I'm beat.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You could try the free PC Mover software to copy your Quicken 2015 to your new computer.

https://www.easeus.com/pc-transfer/free-pc-mover-for-windows8-7.html

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Pilot135pd
    Pilot135pd Member ✭✭
    Options

I read about EaseUS but the reviews I saw said the free version won't let you move anything (just see the files) and with the paid version you end up with lots of corrupt files on the new computer, and to top that off it's then a pain to get your money back. They might be old reviews and they've since made updates, don't know.

Have you or anyone else here used it?

• Pilot135pd
    Pilot135pd Member ✭✭
    Options

I did notice practically all EaseUS reviews were for data recovery which I don't need as I would only need them for transferring the quicken program from the old laptop to the new one. Still the reviews worry me.

Unless someone here tells me they used it and it worked, I'm inclined to try everything done on this forum first and if it doesn't work then as a last resort try EaseUS.

https://www.reddit.com/r/datarecovery/comments/saubfb/easeus_is_a_scam/

https://www.amazon.com/EaseUS-Data-Recovery-Wizard-10-8/product-reviews/B01KS9H230

• Greg_the_Geek
    Options

Another poster in the community used the free PC Mover software to move Quicken 2010 to a new computer and said it worked fine. The free version allows 5 moves. What do you have to loose?

• Pilot135pd
    Pilot135pd Member ✭✭
    Options

I did an online chat with EaseUS and asked them if any of their apps will do what I need. He says their app "Todo PCTrans" will do it and their free trial version has a 2 program max so I'm going to try it. If it works and moves my Quicken 2015 and Office 2013 then I'll gladly pay the $50 for it.

I AM NOT ENDORSING THIS APP !! I'm just posting the link so everyone can see what it claims to do:

https://www.easeus.com/free-pc-transfer-software/

If it works then I'll let everyone know but until then : I'M NOT ENDORSING THE APP !!

The final option (after trying this app and if it doesn't work then trying the Quicken.ini mod again) will be buying or renting or borrowing a used Macbook with Intel chip that's just a little younger than mine that will run Windows 11. Then I can migrate everything to that laptop, upgrade it to Windows 11, then migrate everything to my new Mackbook Air and I'll have all my apps.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Options

FWIW, I just followed @Chris_QPW instructions and installed Quicken 2017 with no problem.

• Pilot135pd
    Pilot135pd Member ✭✭
    Options

Could you be more specific? Some posts say to use the old Config and modify the .ini, others say you can use the config that's created and modify the .ini, is yours inside of Parallels, what specifically did you do, etc…

• Greg_the_Geek
    Options

I followed these instructions: It was a fresh install of Quicken 2017.

https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/blanklogin2014-2017.html

• Pilot135pd
    Pilot135pd Member ✭✭
    Options

Ok I did that one too at one time and since I'll be going through all of them again until something works, I might as well start with that one. Thanks

• Greg_the_Geek
    Options

Make sure you delete the following folder:

C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken

• Pilot135pd
    Pilot135pd Member ✭✭
    Options

Yep, and the …\Local and the …\Roaming too

• Pilot135pd
    Pilot135pd Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Since my last visit here over a week ago, I've been

• installing, editing, running the cleaners when it didn't work then
    • trying a different method of installing, editing the config, then running the cleaners when it didn't work then
    • installing it all again using the old config, then running the cleaners when it didn't work then
    • installing again using the modified config, then running the cleaners when it didn't work then…..

you get the idea, I tried everything a few times for various days, it still didn't work.

So I tried the free "EaseUS Todo PCTrans" app https://www.easeus.com/support-center/product/info/7.html. BUT the free version didn't work so I was now down to

1- paying Quicken for a subscription or

2-paying EaseUS for their app, which has a money back guarantee so not much to lose but time

I paid for the app and it still didn't work so I pretty much told them they were a scam during the last of the 3 or 4 support chats trying to get it to work. They then told me to contact them in a couple of days because it was the weekend over there (now I confirmed it's in China not US as they try to make it look). I contacted them at 10:30pm Sunday which would make it morning over there and the chat guy told me to try in 30 minutes. So I waited an hour and contacted them for what I was thinking was the last time and I would just succumb to paying the Quicken subscription. Well after an hour of one tech support guy in my old laptop, he added another tech and then around 1:30am added a 3rd tech and I could see them copy and pasting away on my old and my new laptops when finally around 2:40am they were finally able to transfer it all to my new laptop AND MY QUICKEN 2015 Vers 17.4 IS WORKING on my new MacBook Air M1 !!

So now I figure the only other Windows program I wasn't using from my old laptop is Outlook 2013 so that's going to be my next test with them. If they transfer it, fine, and if they can't I'm already getting used to the Office for Mac I had purchased a couple years ago and have been using for a month now.

Thank you to all who helped me here trying to get it installed. For whatever reason the process here works on some laptops and doesn't on others.

This discussion has been closed.