Growing tired of Online Bill Issues

Options

Seem to spend more time managing online biller issues to get my bills to sync than I do doing anything else in quicken.

Wells Fargo especially…accounts exists, created online bills that worked for awhile.

Then all of a sudden I'm supposed to "Fix It"; which never fixes anything. So I proceed to remove all online bills from Wells Fargo, delete the online connection and attempt to re-add everything…

That doesn't work either; it seems an online bill that is not there and "assumes" that's all I have to add when in reality there are 2 other online bills I want to add.

Seriously frustrated, as mentioned previously spend way too much time trying to make online billers work than it seems necessary…crazy, makes no sense to even have the functionality available if it isn't going to work…

Switched to Quicken from [Removed - 3rd Party Software] & seriously considering dropping quicken and going back…the online bills is sooooooo frustrating.

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @garyldougherty,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did this issue first start? Which version of Quicken were you using when it started? Are you getting any error messages? I checked on the server side and could see the last connection you had with the Wells Fargo online biller showed "depreciated" for the status and the following message: "In an effort to improve security, we're upgrading our connection with Wells Fargo and you are required to sign in again via Wells Fargo's website.".

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• garyldougherty
    garyldougherty Member ✭✭
    Options

Yeah, can you elaborate on that "sign-in process" again…I've tried to edit connections and re-sign, have been prompted by Wells Fargo and received a code via text to enter.

I don't know what "version" this started happening in, I am just extremely frustrated that paying a subscription that includes functionality that is continually breaking.

I'm guessing now you're gonna tell me to delete all my wells fargo accounts and re-add them?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

The message said you'd need to sign in again via Wells Fargo's website. Some financial institutions do require that you provide some form of authorization before it will allow you to connect. You may need to speak with Wells Fargo to confirm what is needed.

I suggest you try to Review and Repair Online billers. Please save a backup of your data file first.  After that, please navigate to the Bills & Income tab and click on the gear icon on the top-right. Then, click on Review and Repair > Review and Repair Online Billers in the dropdown menu.

Once that is done, see if the issue still continues to persist.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• garyldougherty
    garyldougherty Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Kristina,

Yeah, I had already tried that too…it did not work.

I re-did my Wells Fargo online bill connection and it still only finds 1 bill even though I have 2 other bills I wish to add; but it will no longer see them.

Unfortunately I am managing them as Manual Bills since Quicken (or whomever) can't get their online billers connectivity with Wells Fargo to synch and work even remotely close to working correctly…

Frustrating

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• garyldougherty
    garyldougherty Member ✭✭
    Options

did them both, but didn't change a thing…craziness! I suppose these 2 other wells fargo bills can be tracking manually since it will only recognize the 1 bill now…but that certainly defeats the supposed functionality that is supposed to work.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If your bank (the one that runs your checking account) recently required you to reauthorize your checking account and/or your bank has changed from "Direct Connect" to either "Express Web Connect" or "Express Web Connect+" you can no longer use Online Bill Pay direct to the bank or Quicken Bill Manager's Quick Pay function. The bank no longer supports this function through Quicken.

IMHO, you have these alternatives (in no particular order of preference):

1. Use Quicken Bill Manager's Check Pay making sure to submit payment early enough (at least 3 weeks before due date) to allow time for delivery and processing. Note: limited number of free transactions per month.
    2. Logon to the bank's website and schedule your bill pay payments to be executed by the bank from your checking account. In parallel to that, in Quicken use a regular Scheduled Reminder to record your payment. Repeat both actions every time another payment is due.
    3. Bypass Bill Manager. Let the biller's computer system do all the work for you. Logon to the biller's website once and set up their Autopay, APS, Direct debit, etc. service to make the current payment and all future payments on Due Date directly from your checking account. In parallel to that, in Quicken, every month, record a regular Scheduled Reminder to keep track of your payments before they come due.
    4. Write (or print with Quicken) a paper check and mail it to the biller, making sure to mail payment early enough (at least 10 days before due date) to allow time for delivery and processing.

I've been using method #3 for decades, since before the Internet and transaction download capabilities were even introduced. It's easy to get used to this process. And I have yet to miss a single payment.

This discussion has been closed.