How to ensure Cloud data overrides an older desktop file

Options
Roger Q
Roger Q Member
edited September 2023 in Using the Mobile App

I have used Quicken forever. Just recently started using the mobile app. I was able to sync file using desktop app several days ago. This morning I used the mobile app and accepted transactions and categorized them.

When I try to sync, I get a message that says that my desktop data will overwrite my cloud data. Here is the warning box:

I dont want to overwrite my cloud data, I want to update my desktop data instead. Can anyone help me accomplish this?

Roger

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Roger Q,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Usually, you are able to update the app and it'll sync back to the desktop file. Restoring a backup or opening an older version of the desktop file could disrupt that though; Quicken is designed to see the desktop file as the main version and resolves conflicts between the cloud and the file by overwriting the cloud.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Roger Q
    Roger Q Member
    Options

Kristen - Thanks for your response. However, I still don't have a good sense of how adding transactions, accepting transactions and assigning categories IN THE MOBILE APP (cloud) will update my desktop. The warning message tells me that what I did in the mobile app will vanish.

So, after making modifications on the mobile app, what do I have to do once I am back on the desktop app to ensure those changes made on the mobile app actually get reflected on the desktop dataset?

I clearly understand the desktop file is the main version and a "sync" is design it to overwrite the cloud. Reading the forum, it appears the "cloud sync" dropdown utility under the "mobile and web" drop down menu (located in small print at the top, not the bigger print "mobile and web") may be the answer. It appears that clicking on that utility actually overright the desktop dataset with more current mobile app transactions.

Is this understanding correct?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your response,

Syncing the cloud any time you make an update in the app or in the desktop version is key to ensuring changes made on one transfer over to the other. This user guide provides information on how to set up sync between the desktop and app.

That message you were getting implies that you may have accidentally opened an older version of the desktop file though, and if that is the case, Quicken will see that older version of the file as the "correct" information. Did you restore from a backup or anything like that recently?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.