Why does Quicken only offer an IRR calcuation for a maximum 5-year-period?

Options
wmjenner
wmjenner Member ✭✭
edited September 2023 in Investing (Windows)

I could have sworn there used to be an option to calculate the IRR from the date a stock was purchased. I'm more interested in a stock's performance since DAY ONE than I am over the last five years - especially if I've owned that stock for 15+ years, which is the case for a few that I own.

Best Answer

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

The Investment Portfolio Report will compute the IRR for any period of time you choose and for any combination of accounts and securities you choose.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just so that we're all on the same page … please detail your steps to create this calculation

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• wmjenner
    wmjenner Member ✭✭
    Options

What steps? I am talking about the canned investment report that shows the annual rate of return (IRR) for each stock. But that calculation (done by Quicken - not me) only shows a maximum of 5 years back. I want to know how a stock has performed since the day I bought it.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is no investment report called IRR. So, which report and what options for that report?

• wmjenner
    wmjenner Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

[Removed - Violation of Community Guidelines] It is not a report - it is a calculation - and, [Removed - Disruptive], it is the average annual return for an investment. Click on the tab "Investing", then click on the tab "Performance." The average annual return (IRR) is a column that appears if you have selected it under the Options/Current View (the gear in the upper right corner of the table).

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

The Investment Portfolio Report will compute the IRR for any period of time you choose and for any combination of accounts and securities you choose.

• wmjenner
    wmjenner Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks q_lurker. You really ARE a SuperUser!

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

That would be the Investment Performance Report, found in the Reports > Investing menu.

QWin Premier subscription
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

Your statement that no period greater than 5 years was non-sensical, which is why I challenged you to explain what you're doing.

That you could never respond to my straightforward question only points to your own shortcoming.

And you NEVER, before this reply used the phrase "Average Annual Return", so this statement is a lie.

• wmjenner
    wmjenner Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

[Removed - Violation of Community Guidelines]

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am talking about the canned investment report that shows the annual rate of return (IRR) for each stock. 

I think we have a terminology issue. It sounds like you are talking about what we would call an Investing > Portfolio view or an account's Holdings view (Account overview) with the Historic Performance option selected. These views have columns titled Avg. Annual Return (%) for various time periods up to 5 years.

The Investment Performance Report from the Reports > Investing menu does the same IRR calculation and lets you set the starting and ending dates for the analysis. If you set the starting date prior to your initial purchase, the calculation starts on the initial purchase date.

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.