My HP 8020 will not print single checks

Options
Artpen100
Artpen100 Member ✭✭
edited September 2023 in Reports (Windows)

I switched to a new printer, the HP 8020, and find out that it cannot print single checks. It will not recognize the paper size and will not print them. I see that this has been an issue since 2020. Is there a fix?

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Recently discussed in this other thread. The solution is to use form leaders so the printer sees a bigger piece of paper.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Artpen100
    Artpen100 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks. I had seen references to leaders before. Unfortunately, I don't consider a workaround that costs additional money per check to be a very good solution. Looks to me like HP printers and Quicken are just not very compatible. Wish I had known before getting another HP printer.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

I know how you feel. But this is not something Quicken can possibly fix. It's a printer issue.

My old HP OfficeJet 8600 prints the last check without a problem. (I will break down and cry when it finally dies.)

I wonder what changed and whether the 8020 could be modified to defeat its paper sensor.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Will single checks fit in the envelope feeder? Business size checks should …

QWin Premier subscription
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you don't want to spend money* on reusable Form Leaders, you can build your own.

As stated in a response to the above mentioned discussion:

What I found also works is removable glue dots by attaching single check to a sheet of paper.

(*) The form leaders from Intuit cost $21.39 for a pack of 10 form leaders.
    Each form leader can be reused up to 40 times.
    IOW, this adds about 5 Cents per printed check to your cost.

This discussion has been closed.