Quicken Will Not Open

Options

Error Message says: "Quicken unexpectedly quit the last time it was run. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please help the Quicken team to resolve this issue by providing details below. We made need to contact you for additional information."

I sent about a dozen of the requested "Send Error Report." No response.

I spent an hour on the phone with tech support 31 August. Conclusion was that I needed to have my internet provider fix my router, and unresolved Ticket No. 10442977. I have uninstalled, and reinstalled Quicken several times, both on my own and with tech support on the phone. No success. I have rebooted my router. I have tried opening a backup file of my data. Every step I take brings up the "unexpectedly quit" error, in spite of the fact that I have not successfully opened, nor quit, Quicken since August 22.

I have used Quicken for Windows since last century. Currently running Windows 11 Home 64 bit.

Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @jerryandshari,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did this issue first start? Was there anything that happened just before the issue started, such as a power surge, power outage, update, unexpected program or computer shutdown, etc?  Do you keep your Quicken program and file on your C drive or are they on a shared network drive? 

If you haven't restarted your computer since the issue started, I would recommend restarting your computer and seeing if the issue persists after the restart finishes.

I would also recommend that you try temporarily disabling or pausing your antivirus and firewall and testing to see if Quicken will open.

I can see when you spoke with Support, they recommended you talk to your internet service provider to make sure there were no settings that would block Quicken from being able to communicate. Was the internet service provider able to assist at all?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken crashes, hangs or loops at startup?

Please try this:

• Reboot Windows.
    • Close Quicken (or do not start it at all).
    • Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename your current Quicken data file. For example, if it's called Qdata.QDF rename it to QdataX.QDF
      Usually your file is located in your C:\Users\_your_username_\Documents\Quicken folder.
    • Having done that start Quicken as usual from the Start Menu or Desktop Quicken icon.
      If Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.
    • click on File in the Menu bar. Select the Validate function. Select the renamed Quicken data file and see if Quicken can access and repair it.
    • If you can't get Quicken to start at all,

• jerryandshari
    Options

Thank you both for your responses. After my extensive uninstall, reinstall, and reboot episodes described in my post, I simply walked away. After 5 days, I came back, and started Quicken.exe file. Quicken updated itself and asked for my data file location. I selected the same file as I had in my many earlier efforts and -voila - it all opened, but only after I finished logging into Quicken online platform. I immediately saved the data, rebooted, and was again successful, again, only if I logged into Quicken.com. So short answer, Quicken apparently took a US Labor Day holiday break, and now works. Again, thank you.

This discussion has been closed.