how do i turn off the online center / online payment feature

Options

somehow , i have set up an online payment from one of my banks to one of my payees. I dont want that! but quicken creates entries in my register with a little lightning bolt and status of Sent.

my bank is not sending payments but quicken wont let me delete this items. i open the online center and there is no way to just delete things there. it gives me the optoin of sending an email to my bank.

this whole feature is very confusing. i just want to turn it off!

Best Answer

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @mikestone,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. From what you are describing, it sounds like you have one or more accounts connected by Direct Connect. If you're wanting to turn off that bank bill pay functionality in Quicken, go to Tools>Account List. Click the Edit button next to the account(s) that the payments are being made from. Click on the Online Services tab. In the Online bill payment section, look for where it says Bank Bill Pay. There should be a link giving you the option to Deactivate.

Once you have deactivated that for the account(s) that the payments were sending from, that should turn off the Online bill payment functionality.

If you have verified that the funds have not and will not come out of the account(s) and you need to delete the payments documented in the register, then I would recommend following the steps in this article on what to do when you can't delete an online payment or payee.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @mikestone,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. From what you are describing, it sounds like you have one or more accounts connected by Direct Connect. If you're wanting to turn off that bank bill pay functionality in Quicken, go to Tools>Account List. Click the Edit button next to the account(s) that the payments are being made from. Click on the Online Services tab. In the Online bill payment section, look for where it says Bank Bill Pay. There should be a link giving you the option to Deactivate.

Once you have deactivated that for the account(s) that the payments were sending from, that should turn off the Online bill payment functionality.

If you have verified that the funds have not and will not come out of the account(s) and you need to delete the payments documented in the register, then I would recommend following the steps in this article on what to do when you can't delete an online payment or payee.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• mikestone
    mikestone Member ✭✭
    Options

thanks. I will try what you suggest… but can you tell me what exactly is this direct connect and the method i was supposedly using it for. specifically, does quicken have a agreement with my bank that i can intitiate a 'bill pay request' from quicken that that request gets sent to my bank to fulfill. ?

if that the same bank back end functionality as me going on my bank website and doing that same bill pay request myself?

• mikestone
    mikestone Member ✭✭
    Options

Update. ok. i tried your suggestion but results not clear. here is the message i see after selecting deactivate. no action seems to be taken . after i click OK… i still see the same status showing 'deactivate'

the wordking is a bit unclear. last line says you need to call 3rd party to cancel the 'online service'…. but im here in this form trying to 'deactivate' this online service not not trying to stop downloading my transcations into quicken. so words like cancel and deactivate arent fully clarified.

• Quicken Kristina
    edited September 2023
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Direct Connect is a connection method with Quicken that some financial institutions offer. It is a two way connection, which means that if the financial institution supports it, you are able to send instructions to your financial institution to make payments using the financial institution's bill pay. You can read this support article for more information on the different connection types available in Quicken.

If you are getting that error message and it is not deactivating the bank bill pay, then it may need you to cancel any transactions Quicken sees as pending first. The reminder to contact the financial institution is because once the bank bill pay ability is turned off, there is no way for Quicken to send instructions to make or cancel payments; you would have to talk to the financial institution directly to do it.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.