Citi - CC-502

Options
124»

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is not a workaround. It is a solution. A workaround is doing something that is not part of normal procedure or is not included in the design of the product. A solution is doing something differently but where that something is actually part of the product design.

The fact that you got a CC error code (any kind of CC error code for that matter) indicates that what you were doing was to trying to set up another EWC connection instead of a DC connection. CC error codes are not used with DC connections. So it is pretty conclusive that something in your setup process was missed or not done correctly. It's actually pretty easy to mess it up because setting up the DC connection via Citi Cards is not as intuitive as is setting up most other accounts.

Citi Cards via DC (for most Citi credit cards) is by design. If the setup steps are faithfully followed I'll lay you 100:1 odds that your DC connection will properly complete. That's how confident I am in this connection for Citi credit cards. And if you read through this thread you will see quite a few others who can now confirm how well it is working for them, too.

I do agree that Citibank downloads via EWC has always been marginal at best. I and other Super Users have been telling other users for years to stay away from Citibank and Costco Anywhere Visa by Citi for Citi credit cards and instead use Citi Cards because it has been so fast and reliable.

I do encourage you to try again. Click on this link (Re: Costco Citibank Visa) for the step-by-step instructions and follow them closely.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

• sjmsing
    sjmsing Member ✭✭✭
    Options

This is NOT a solution for Citibank Checking or Savings accounts. It is ONLY a solution for Credit Cards. Still waiting on Quicken for a Citibank Checking and Savings accounts

• Boatnmaniac
    edited September 2023
    Options

Isn't that what I said?

Earlier in this thread I also offered a solution for checking and savings accounts and I'll repeat that here:

Regarding other types of Citi accounts (checking & savings): Unfortunately, there is no DC set up option available. What can be done to download transactions is to use the Web Connect connection method. WC requires you to log into your online Citibank account and manually download and import transactions in the QFX (or "Quicken" or "Web Connect") file format. It is not ideal because it is a manual process but it can be very helpful until this CC-502 error code gets resolved.

Whether or not to exercise either or both of these options is a personal choice. Those who opt to not to are faced with only 2 other options:

1. Manually enter all transactions.
    2. Or sit tight and wait for the EWC connection issue to be resolved.

FYI: Yesterday there were a few posts by people that they were successful in getting Citibank downloads via EWC. But some said it was a very slow process. Most have posted that EWC was still not working. I haven't checked, yet, today to see if any or how many might be saying EWC is working for them today.

• jmozal
    jmozal Member ✭✭
    Options

There is a workaround solution posted by UKR on September 3rd. The workaround is to use the financial institution Citi Cards (NOT Citibank) and establish a connection using Direct Connect (see explanation on September 3 above). I tried this today and it solved the problem for me.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

@UKR 's solution and mine are the exact same thing…and are for credit cards only. We just documented it a bit differently from each other. There are also a couple of others posting this same solution. Good to know that we are not saying different things and that you have joined the ranks of "this solved the problem."

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

No issues here for Citi Credit Cards on DIrect Connect.

• Shelley Belle
    Shelley Belle Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

I am also getting CC-502 when attempting to set up my citibank credit card account. I am using the citi card connection (although I tried citibank too). I purposely deactivated when I kept having the connection problem as often that is the help desk advice to do so and then setup again. Is this a known problem? Is there an ETA on correction?

Thank you.

[Merged Post]

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Shelley Belle,

Thank you for joining the discussion. Please review this earlier post (quoted below) for information on the issue and a work around for credit cards issued through Citi:

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• springro68
    springro68 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

On the phone with Quicken support, let's call him "Louis #1", trying to resolve citibank cc 502, who concluded I needed to be transferred to another department to "manually reset my accounts". Then transferred me to "Louis #2" who was clueless, had no idea why Louis #1 transferred me and is now attempting to get a supervisor. [Removed - Off Topic] What they really need to do is focus on solving issues for paying customers before we are no longer paying customers. Why is this so hard!?!?!?!

• jamessite
    jamessite Member ✭✭
    Options

I have been able to download Citibank savings and checking for a week with no problems.

• Shelley Belle
    Options

I have followed the directions to open ""Manage Your Desktops Apps" (image attached) on the Citi.com site, used the Citi Card option for add account, selected DM option and I am having a different result from the cc error when not selecting the DM option. Error is " You need login information form Citi Cards in order to have automatic downloads" (image attached ). The credentials I entered for citi.com are correct so I have no idea how to solve this problem. Is login information from Citi Cards different than Citi.com? I can't find any other site for Citi. When I login to citi.com I see my credit card info so I just can't imagine that is what the error means. Help!!!!!

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

The first picture you posted says you used your Quicken login information for your Citi Cards set up. Do you really mean to use the same login for both?

• Shelley Belle
    Options

I don't know why it returns that error. I do not use the same credentials for citi and quicken; not the userid nor the password. Is it possible the password vault is involved somehow and it's corrupted with all the attempts I made to get this going? Thanks for any help you can provide.

• Shelley Belle
    Options

I just looked and there is no entry for citi in my password vault since i deactivated the account as part of trying to make this connection so that can't be it.

• Shelley Belle
    Options

I just spoke to the helpdesk at Quicken and was told the error I am getting now is due to the citi connection blocking/not accepting my credentials and it is a known issue related to the cc-502. I am not sure I accept this answer because a number of people have reported that the directions to use the DM connection and opening the manage desktop apps at the citi site worked to correct their problem. I asked the help desk for info on where I can see this discussed in the community forum and she said there was none. Is there any way to confirm what I was just told that I just have to wait for citi to correct? Help!!!!!

• DavidPat7209
    DavidPat7209 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Research will indicate that the CC-502 and other CC errors have been going on for about 24 months…

This from Jasmine indicates the issue has been going on since 2022 or before:

This link to a happy talk "solution" from Quicken does NOT work: https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-updating-accounts-cc-502

The Quicken Community page and its search engine are crippled [Removed - Speculation]

Citibank is also totally clueless about this issue…and tell you to "add access" when there is no such option where they say it should be.

This link reveals the total frustration with Quicken Users on this issue: [Edited - Readability]

It is unclear to me why all users encountering this error for the almost 24 months should not be compensated for the inconvenience and for a lack of a coherent fix. [Removed - Disruptive/Rant]

• sepright
    sepright Member ✭✭
    Options

Agree!!!

• Phil Burton
    Phil Burton Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

I had to talk with Citi online support today for a difficult issue, so the call was escalated to a supervisor. (unrelated to this post).

I also asked about the comment I read somewhere on the Q website about Citibank not wanting to support Quicken 1-step download. She confirmed that Citi was "migrating away" from Quicken, because of security and privacy issues with the Quicken download software. She didn't have any more information.

The workaround is to do a separate download from each account and then import the download file into Quicken. Ugh. Ugh again. I do that now. for four different accounts. The Quicken import process does not detect duplicates, and that issue creates still more work.

Now how to we put pressure on the management to get OK with Citibank? What kind of pressure would work best?

Been using Quicken (and TurboTax) since DOS days in 1990s.
  • HILiOUTeNtitE
    Options

For Citicard accounts, I have been getting the dreaded CC-502 - what worked was the steps listed in Linda's post. It seems like Citi gives the users an authorized gateway for 10 minutes to setup the account in Quicken. Only after activating that, Quicken can connect to Citicards account. Thank you Linda!

• Lynn Evans
    Options

I have 2 credit card accounts that don't download but used to: Citi and NC State Employee's Assn. I think the second one may be due to the 2-step verification as one credit card works (no 2-step verification) but the other doesn't.

• Ken MacLeod
    Ken MacLeod Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Error codes CC-502 or CC-503 is due to a Express Web Connect (EWC) connection. You can chose to use a 'Direct Connect' Connection by doing the following. Open the Citi card that you are trying to add or update and chose 'Edit account details' and then 'Online Services' and chose 'Deactivate.' Then open your web browzer and type in Search 'https://citi.com/datamanagement,' then sign into the Citi card account you are trying to 'Add' or 'Update' and click 'Continue' under 'Allow access? Then open Quicken and go to the Citi card that you signed into and chose 'Set up now.' Then enter your 'User ID' and 'Password' in the 'Dialog box' and chose 'Connect.' This procedure will give you a Direct Connect connection to 'Add' or 'Update' your Citi card account. If you have more then 1 Citi card account you will have to follow this procedure for each account. I hope that this will solve the problem for you.

Ken M

• Gayle Koch
    Options

Thank you. I followed your instructions and am now up and running again with my Citi card downloading to Quicken!

This discussion has been closed.