Quicken one step update hangs / freezes

Options

R51.12
Build "27.1.51.12"
OS Windows 11 Enterprise

Have signed out / in to Quicken account

Have uninstalled / reinstalled Quicken

Have validated and repaired data file

Have unselected Online Services for one step update (Transactions, Quotes, Bills)

Have attempted to select subsets for one step update

Have attempted to manually update individual accounts - which works - but which is not a solution to the problem

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @bmiller9k,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did this issue first start? How long are you letting it attempt to update before killing via the Task Manager? Was there anything that happened just before the issue started, such as a power surge, power outage, update, unexpected program or computer shutdown, etc?  Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• bmiller9k
    bmiller9k Member ✭✭
    Options

Even individual accounts are now subject to the problem. The program appears to be trying to go through / process a large volume of transactions (the screen flashes as though that's what's happening) - but eventually it ends up hanging and either prompts Windows that program is not responding, or have to kill it manually via Task Mgr.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @bmiller9k,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did this issue first start? How long are you letting it attempt to update before killing via the Task Manager? Was there anything that happened just before the issue started, such as a power surge, power outage, update, unexpected program or computer shutdown, etc?  Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• bmiller9k
    bmiller9k Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Kristina. I had long suspended my cloud sync services whenever I ran a complete backup of my data file. But I had not regularly stopped those services when running one-step update. I'm not sure if that was the root cause, but certainly the issues are finally all resolved. I ended up restoring from backup and also getting some inconsistent running balances in one of my accounts - keeping in mind this was all over Labor Day wknd with services undergoing maintenance due to the holiday I'm sure.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I'm glad to hear it seems to be working properly now. If you need further assistance, feel free to reach back out.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• J in FL
    J in FL Member ✭✭
    Options

Was hoping this thread could have helped my situation as I am running into the same issue with one step update. My files are located on the C drive.

Can you explain what you mean by stopping those services when running one-step update? I'm not entirely clear if that may be something I need to try. Thanks.

• bmiller9k
    bmiller9k Member ✭✭
    Options

If you have any cloud or local / external drive backup services that sync in real-time / automatically, like OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. - those kinds of things could potentially impact One Step Update. In general they are easy to pause and resume, so I'm good with doing that as part of my update routine to avoid the hassle of restoring from backup, recovering from corrupted transactions, etc.

Look to see if your C: drive is included in any of those backup sets (I think OneDrive may include it by default).

Hope that helps.

• lnlg1986
    lnlg1986 Member ✭✭
    Options

I have the same issue - where do you look to see if you have any services sycing real time?

This discussion has been closed.