Travel budget

Options
Sijidaegu
Sijidaegu Member ✭✭

We go on a trip abroad every year and spend at least $6k on flights. I have buying flight in April and having our savings for the months show as negative. We want to start putting away $800 months for flights and want idea how to organize this within quicken.

Do I open a savings account and transfer money in there like an expense every month? If I did that it would come out as a double expense when I purchase flights on my credit card in April.

should I just put money in a savings as transfer and not worry about being negative for April cause it’s about the entire year? I just hate how it feels like we’re saving good but of money every month but really a good chuck will go for annual trip visiting family and feel we should take that portion we know we’re spending away from showing we’re saving

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Use Q Help to look into "Savings Goals". I believe that the use of a Savings Goal will do what you want.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Quicken Mac doesn't have savings goals.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

AAHH, didn't notice that this is a Mac thread. Sorry.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Do I open a savings account and transfer money in there like an expense every month? If I did that it would come out as a double expense when I purchase flights on my credit card in April. 

Yes, you'd have a double expense but then you would transfer money out of your travel savings to pay the cost of the flights. By including that transfer in your budget it would offset the cost of the flights, leaving you with just the monthly saving expense.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I believe that the use of a Savings Goal will do what you want.

Except that Savings Goals do not yet exist in Quicken Mac.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.