Who is responsible for fixing OL-221-A errors: Quicken or financial institution?

Options
jdparker225
jdparker225 Member ✭✭

I apologize if this is a duplicate. I tried posting this about half hour ago but it just disappeared.

Running with Quicken for Windows 10 Enterprise Version R52.20 Build 27.1.52.20.

Recently I tried to download a QFX file from Bank of America and, when I processed it, I got error code OL-221-A. Based on research in this forum I was able to determine that this error code means that there is a syntax error in the QFX file and that I could determine what the syntax error was by looking at CONNLOG.TXT (Help->Contact Support->Log Files). The syntax error was a missing field: DTSERVER. I looked at the file and saw that, in fact, there was no DTSERVER field but there was, in part, this:
<BANKMSGSRSV1>
The time period you have requested to download has no posted transactions. Please select a new date range.
</BANKMSGSRSV1>
That was true. I then entered a correct date range, downloaded another QFX file and it was processed successfully.

However, what should have happened is that the "The time period you have requested to download has no posted transactions. Please select a new date range." messages should have been displayed to me. Ideally that would be by the Bank of America web page and it should not have downloaded anything. Alternatively, Quicken could have displayed the message when processing the file. That probably would have required a valid DTSERVER field be in the file. Note: As an experiment I added the DTSERVER field from the good QFX file to the one resulting from the incorrect date range and tried to process it. I still go the same error code but there was nothing in CONNLOG.TXT specifying what the syntax error was.

So, who is responsible for fixing this software bug: Quicken or Bank of America? And this is a software bug. A simple user error such as an invalid date range in a download request should not require the kind of research that I had to perform in order to diagnose it. In fact, the user should never encounter a syntax error in a downloaded QFX file.

Thanks

Jim

Comments

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you have not already done so, you might want to read this Support Article: https://www.quicken.com/support/error-message-ol-220-ol-221-ol-222-ol-223-ol-224-ol-225-or-ol-226-when-using-online-services .

If you did a manual download of the QFX file from BofA: The Article states that there is a problem with the file itself and you should contact BofA so they can address it.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

To me, both are at fault.

BofA should have told you that you asked for a download that contained no transactions.

on the other hand,

Quicken should have made the error message more visible without having to dig into the log files.

I guess I haven't run into this since I compare the current balance and only do a download it there is something to download. I also do a range that goes back a week or two so that there is always something downloaded, even if most of them are discarded by Quicken as duplicates.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.