Bills, Income & Transfers shows blanks across the board

Options

A list is displayed, but every biller and every amount is blank. If I click edit, everything is blank. In addition, if I open a register for an account, where it normally shows reminders the same general phenomenon is occurring. I did validate and repair on the account ten days ago since it had been a couple of years. Five days ago, I archived data prior to 2023 because it was taking so long to open my Quicken file, although it seems not have archived everything.

Quicken Premier Version R52.20, Build 27.1.52.20 Windows 11.

[Edited - Removed Personal Information]

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @leomoore,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did the issue start happening?  Which version of Quicken were you using when the issue started? Was there anything that happened just before the issue started, such as a power surge, power outage, update, unexpected program or computer shutdown, etc?  Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

You mentioned you ran a validate on your file. Did that validate find anything? If so, was it repairable, or did it say it couldn't repair it?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just out of curiosity …
    If you open the Tools Menu / Manage Bill and Income Reminders view or if you look in individual account registers' Bill and Income Reminders tabs (at the bottom of the register), do these reminders still show correctly or are they missing, too?

I'm trying to find out if it's a problem with a damaged data file or if it's a screen display issue, not building the display correctly. Would minimizing the Quicken window, then restoring/maximizing it refresh the screen properly? Or just clicking the Restore Down icon to change window size fix it?

• leomoore
    leomoore Member ✭✭
    Options

Nothing unusual happened. The only things I've done differently from normal use is a repair, which found some little things that it repaired, and a few days later, I archived data older than 2023/01/01, which I hadn't done in perhaps four years. It is likely that one or both of those actions contributed to this situation because it didn't occur prior to those two actions. I keep my active file on the C drive, but I do backup to an external drive and about once a month to Google Drive. I do not synch with any cloud services, rather I manually copy to Google Drive. I've run into too many problems synching Quicken with anything. I stopped using the mobile app years ago because it would occasionally go off the rails and randomly delete old deposits and create huge discrepancies in my accounts. As much as I don't want to do a restore, I might need to do that, but it is just so time consuming to catch up transactions after a restore since I don't retain most receipts once I enter them. I've been using Quicken for nearly 30 years, but sometimes when a bug is released, I have to admit that using spreadsheets is tempting.

• leomoore
    leomoore Member ✭✭
    Options

As I mentioned, if I go to individual accounts, the reminders are also blank. It's as if some connection to the calendar was broken. One idea might be to delete all my calendar entries and add them back.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you haven't done so already, please do the following actions:
    • Even if you are on the latest software level already, download and install the latest Manual Patch file from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product to ensure your Quicken software is up to date and correctly installed.
    • Reboot Windows.
    • Start Quicken. Do not run One Step Update.
    • Run BOTH Validate and Supervalidate to attempt to repair your Quicken data file.
    • If nothing helps, try to restore your Quicken data file from an Automatic or Manual backup taken just prior to the problems first occurring.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Validate and Supervalidate instructions
    First save a backup file prior to performing these steps
    Validate: 
    • Click File
    • Select Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Validate File
    • If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots".
    • If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    • Click OK
    • Close the Data Log
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:
    • Click File
    • Press and hold both CTRL and Shift keys while you click Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Supervalidate File
    • Click OK
    • Close the Data Log
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

• leomoore
    leomoore Member ✭✭
    Options

I followed the instructions you provided to the letter. Nothing changed. When doing things like file validation, archiving, or simply updating the application causes major hiccups, it tends to undermine one's faith in the product.

• leomoore
    leomoore Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Something I just noticed is that while I should have only reminders for things due in the next fourteen days, it is showing page after page after page of blank reminders. When I open one of them it has dates as far back as 2020. I am willing to bet that if I page down far enough, I'll start to see current reminders. So far, I've reached March of 2021 after paging down about 20 or 25 times.

Update - After scrolling through hundreds of blank reminders, I finally reached reminders that are not blank. The last blank reminders is for July 2022. Then it picks up with October of 2023.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Likely the best way to get rid of the issue is to restore a backup taken before the issue statarted to occur.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.