Two mutual funds in account with same symbol (edit)

Options
wimplister
wimplister Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Investing (Windows)

My Quicken account has two funds with similar names and the same symbol. Quicken uses one of them, but deposits downloaded into the Quicken account use the other fund. How can I get rid of one of the funds with the same symbol?

Best Answer

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

if you look at the symbol in the Security List - is there a duplicate for each of the funds

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Your terminology is confusing.

Your funds should be in an Investment account. So, what accounts do you have and what fund(s) in those accounts?

And, are these actually the same fund?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

if you look at the symbol in the Security List - is there a duplicate for each of the funds

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• wimplister
    wimplister Member ✭✭
    Options

There is only one fund, but two slightly different names in the same quicken account, both having the same symbol. I just want to delete one name.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

sorry … can’t visualize how you have two entries with different names, but only one symbol … again - only one symbol listed in Security List - not TWO listed ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are these really the same security? Might they be two different “classes”?

Are they both matched to an online security? (Edit security details). If so, do they have the same or different CUSIP identifiers?

If they really are the same security, your only path is to:

• choose the security with the fewer transactions,
    • edit the security in each transaction to be the other security name one by one. You can make use of copying the one security name over the other.

Only then will you be able to delete one of them. There is no requirement that the security name in your Quicken file matches the brokerage’s name for that security That matching is controlled through the CUSIP.

Backup your file first in case problems develop.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

what is the symbol -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• wimplister
    wimplister Member ✭✭
    Options

I appreciate everyone's attempt to help me. The Fund is entitled Schwab Value Advantage Money Fund. Prior to several months ago, there was no problem. Then something changed. Quicken shows both of the following with SWVXX.

Most of the value in Quicken resides in the first of these. However, when there is an addition, Quicken places it in the latter. I just want to get rid of one of these in Quicken, but don't know how.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

Those very much are the same securities and I’ll stand behind my previous comments. That they are a MM fund may make the number of transactions needing an edit more daunting. That the first lacks a CUSIP is somewhat better in my opinion because it means there is not a conflicting matchup across accounts or brokerages.

If lesser value in the second means fewer transactions with the second, you can still proceed with editing and deleting the second. Once it is deleted, you should get the opportunity to rematch the broker’s SWVXX to your preferred (the remaining) SWVXX in your file.

I will add that I have seen a lot of discussion around that MM and how it might get treated as cash under some settings. I have not followed those details and hope they are not a factor here.

• wimplister
    wimplister Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks, but my question is how to delete on or the other listing in Quicken. Tell me how to delete one of the listings.

• wimplister
    wimplister Member ✭✭
    Options

q_lurker,

You refer me back to an earlier post, but you still don't tell me how to delete one or the other entries.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Once you have renamed the security in all the transactions for the security you will be deleting, there should be no more transactions for that security and Quicken will let you delete it.

Go to Tools > Security list, select the one you are deleting, and click on Delete.

QWin Premier subscription
  • wimplister
    wimplister Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks. I was able to change all transactions with the first name to the second name, and then I was able to delete the first. Schwab recently changed the name of the fund, which caused the problem. Hopefully, this will solve the problem, but I won't know until new SWVXX transactions are downloaded.

This discussion has been closed.