R52.20, Crashes after downloading

Options
MTOrens
MTOrens Member ✭✭

This is not a new problem. This has happened for a very long time. Sometimes it completes its download correctly, but it crashes frequently at some point when I am thinking the download should be completing. There are no error indications. Quicken just closes. I relaunch Quicken and there is no indication of any download having occurred. I start the download again and then it completes correctly. Any clue as to what is going on here? Thanks for any help.

Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @MTOrens,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did the issue start happening?  Was there anything that happened just before the issue started, such as a power surge, power outage, update, unexpected program or computer shutdown, etc?  Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• MTOrens
    MTOrens Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for your response, @Quicken Kristina.

My file location is on my C Drive, BUT, ALL of my files also backup to my cloud service on IDrive. It runs live and backs up files usually within minutes or quicker, as I recall. This has been happening for some years, and it is possible that it coincides with the time I first started using IDrive. Since you mention this, I seem to recall reading now a while back about this possibly interfering with the backup process in Quicken. If that is the case, should I see if I can exclude the Quicken file from my cloud backup? I can't recall, does Quicken do an automatic cloud backup of its own?

Thanks for your assistance!

• MTOrens
    MTOrens Member ✭✭
    Options

I just did a backup and after what seemed liked the normal length of time, the program just closed without telling me that the backup was successful. It does this quite frequently also. I checked the document folder that contains the Owner's Quicken Data file, and the date and time indicated that it was just updated. I opened Quicken again and did another backup. This time, it told me that it had backed up successfully. I then closed it normally.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I'm glad to hear it finally let you backup your file without crashing. Is it consistently working properly now, or is the issue still happening?

Syncing to a cloud service can potentially interfere with backing up your Quicken file since the file is not designed to be accessed by multiple programs at the same time. I recommend that you either unsync the file or make sure to pause that cloud service while you are accessing your Quicken file.

The Quicken cloud is not a cloud storage/backup service. All the Quicken cloud does is allow you to sync with the Quicken companion apps (Quicken on the Web and Quicken Mobile).

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• MTOrens
    MTOrens Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you very much. Both problems, crashing after a download or backup have been consistently intermittent. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it crashes. I will look at my Idrive program and see if I can pause it during download or backup and see if it consistently works then and let you know.

• MTOrens
    MTOrens Member ✭✭
    Options

I ended up calling Quicken Support and got a good answer. He caused me to understand the Quicken "Owner's Quicken Data" file is the one that needs to be removed from my cloud backup list, but not the file that is placed in the Back Up Folder. We did a Validate and Repair on my file, and the downloading has been fine since. It also launches much faster. However, I did have a problem still in doing the backup the last time. It saved the Owner's Quicken Data correctly but instead of then doing the backup and posting the small pop-up window telling me it backed up ok, it just closed. I verified this by looking in the backup folder and confirming that a new backup file was not there. Any help?

• MTOrens
    MTOrens Member ✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina Any help to above question?

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited October 2023
    Options

Thank you for your follow up,

Is this issue with it not backing up a new problem, or was it an existing problem that didn't get fixed when you were working with Support? Was it a one time issue, or has it been refusing to back up every time now? Have you double checked the file location for it to back up to (in case it is backing up, but putting the backup in an unexpected place)? Also, is the program closing after failing to backup an expected behavior (eg backing up before closing), or is the program crashing when you try to backup your file?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• MTOrens
    MTOrens Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for your response. This problem has been happening for a long time. It is and has been intermittent. This did not get fixed with support. It seems to always save a current Owner's Quicken Data file with no problem, this being determined by simply checking the time and date stamp on the file. For the backup, I have specified to add the date and time to the file name. The Owner's Quicken Data file goes to: Documents > Quicken. The "Date modified" correctly shows when I started the operation. The backup file goes to: Documents > Quicken > BACKUP.

When it works normally, I get the usual small pop-up that says the file backed up successfully. What happens fairly frequently is that at a point when I am expecting to get the pop-up window telling me of a successful backup, the program just disappears. No pop-up, no error message, Quicken just disappears, i.e. closes. When I look in File Explorer as stated above, the Owner's Quicken Data has a current time and date stamp on it, but a current backup file in the BACKUP folder is not found.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your response,

Since you mentioned this is an intermittent problem, have you tried making sure that your cloud service (on the I Drive) is paused when you are using/backing up your Quicken file? It is possible that Quicken is failing to backup sometimes because that cloud service is accessing the file.

If that does not correct the issue, the next thing I would recommend is uninstalling and reinstalling Quicken.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• MTOrens
    MTOrens Member ✭✭
    Options

This is what I talked to Quicken Tech Support about. As mentioned, he said I only had to uncheck the backup on the Owner's Quicken Data file. He said the backup file, saved separately in the BACKUP folder, could be backed up. In the IDrive app, you can go to settings, very similar to looking at Windows File Explorer. When looking in the Documents > Quicken folder, I unchecked the Owner's Quicken Data file. I have just doublechecked that, and it is unchecked. A short while ago I launched Quicken, did a few things, did a download which went ok, then did a backup. The backup seemed to go pretty fast, but then closed Quicken with no pop up window indicating completion. I just relaunched Quicken, checked my new entries and found them intact. I looked at File Explorer and BOTH Owner's Quicken Data and the BACKUP file were time stamped currently. I just backed up again. It finished properly by giving me the pop up window, however, when I started the backup, it DIDN'T ask me if I wanted to overwrite the existing backup. In File Explorer, both backups are there.

So, my question is: Is Tech Support correct? Should Quicken run correctly as long as the Owner's Quicken Data file is not being backed up by a cloud service, but the BACKUP Owner's Quicken Data file is?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Based on your summary of what they told you, that should be correct. Essentially, Quicken files are not designed to be accessed by multiple users/processes simultaneously. With backup files, there should be no conflict since you're keeping those in case you need to restore and not actively accessing the files.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.