Setting up a retirement account on Mac

Options
OHCelt
OHCelt Member ✭✭

I have a retirement account with Lincoln Life that contains a 401(k) and an IRA. If I try to set this up in Quicken, it will download the total value of that account, but just shows it as Cash, with no information on the various investments that it consists of. It appears that Lincoln is not set up for downloading details, so what is the best procedure for inputting that more detailed information and keeping it up to date?

Best Answer

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

When connected via Quicken Connect, you generally have only the option for Simple tracking, which does not let you drill deeper into the information. To check how your are connected, click on the account in the sidebar to select it, then go to Accounts>Settings to bring up the Account Settings screen. On the Downloads tab, you can see which connection method you are using.

On the Details tab, you should be able to see if you are on Simple tracking or Detailed tracking. If an option is greyed out, then it is not available.

If you are able to connect via Direct Connect, then you may have the option for Detailed tracking, which will let you see more information, including individual transactions.

If Simple tracking is the only option available, then you may need to deactivate your account and track it manually to get that more detailed information into Quicken.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hello @OHCelt,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. There are a few options. First, I would recommend that you backup your Quicken file and check to see if there is a connection available that will allow you to connect via Direct Connect. When I looked up the financial institution, it looks like there is a connection that might work: Lincoln Financial Group.

Click the Advanced button and make sure Direct Connect is selected.

Then click Continue, follow the prompts, and see if it will let you connect. If it will, make sure to opt for Detailed tracking, and it should be able to download complete information about your investments.

If the financial institution does not allow you to connect to that instance, then you may want to check to see if the financial institution allows you to download .QFX files into your Quicken. If they make complete investing information available that way, then you may be able to download the .QFX file from the financial institution and import it to your Quicken.

If importing .QFX files with the complete investing information is not an option, the final option is to deactivate the account and update it manually.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• OHCelt
    OHCelt Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for the response. My issue is that I can connect to Lincoln and download information. The problem is that the portfolio comes through as just a cash figure, with no information about the individual items that are in it. Is there a way to drill deeper into the figure, or will I have to try to manage the account manually?

• Quicken Kristina
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

When connected via Quicken Connect, you generally have only the option for Simple tracking, which does not let you drill deeper into the information. To check how your are connected, click on the account in the sidebar to select it, then go to Accounts>Settings to bring up the Account Settings screen. On the Downloads tab, you can see which connection method you are using.

On the Details tab, you should be able to see if you are on Simple tracking or Detailed tracking. If an option is greyed out, then it is not available.

If you are able to connect via Direct Connect, then you may have the option for Detailed tracking, which will let you see more information, including individual transactions.

If Simple tracking is the only option available, then you may need to deactivate your account and track it manually to get that more detailed information into Quicken.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.