CSV to QIF conversions

Options

My bank only allows downloads of csv files now. I would like to upload to quicken but I need to convert it into a qif file. I downloaded the xl2qif.xla file to my computer and wanted to use it to bring the csv up in excel and convert it to a qif. However when I select the xl2qif from the add in it says I am in a protected view. Has anyone gotten this conversion to work using excel or any other means? Please advise.

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I download .CSV files for several of my accounts and I use ImportQIF (https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/ ) (it is free) by QuicknPerlWiz to convert the .CSV to .QIF which is ready for import into Quicken.

I've never experienced your "protected view" issue, but I can readily endorse ImportQIF as a great program to do the job.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

deleted to keep the peace 😎

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I download .CSV files for several of my accounts and I use ImportQIF (https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/ ) (it is free) by QuicknPerlWiz to convert the .CSV to .QIF which is ready for import into Quicken.

I've never experienced your "protected view" issue, but I can readily endorse ImportQIF as a great program to do the job.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Qbasic
    Qbasic Member
    Options

Thanks Ps, I'll check this out.

• Qbasic
    Qbasic Member
    Options

Thanks also splasher!

• mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sometimes when you open a file with Excel, it will default to "protected" view (meaning macros disabled, along with editing). In the latest/current Excel (O365 version), it should have a yellowish bar that tells you this and has an option to click "enable editing".

If you downloaded the file and it auto-opened in Excel (or used your web browser to open it), sometimes this also causes Excel to go "read-only" because it's being opened from say, Temporary Internet files location or some other "temp" spot.

• Qbasic
    Qbasic Member
    Options

It's not giving me the yellow bar but perhaps it is saved to temp. Thanks for the potential solution.

• Qbasic
    Qbasic Member
    Options

Thanks Ps and splasher ImportQIF works!

• Redebecca
    Redebecca Member
    Options

I'm trying to use ImportQIF and am stuck - after clicking Enable QFX, it asks for the Financial Institution Id - instructions say I'll find it in a fidir.txt file in Program Data - alas, can't find it anywhere

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

deleted to keep the peace 😎

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Deleted.

Signature: