BMO - Being added incorrectly while using online features

Options
Blue1982
Blue1982 Member ✭✭

Simple:

When I add my BMO account to Quicken as an express web connect account

i goto add account, put in my login details to BMO (quicken says enter mastercard # which is incorrect so off to a bad start already)

it goes to BMO finds the account, and then gives me the following

account# - correct (its my chequing account)

type - credit card (wrong, this is a chequing account)

the rest is fine

no matter what i do i cannot change this account to be/display as anything but a credit card, and it means in the register the account is showing as negative balance because quicken thinks I am using this as a credit card!

have searched and found some feedback online but nothing that fixes the problem which is clearly, let us change the account type from credit card to bank account.

Comments

• Blue1982
    Blue1982 Member ✭✭
    Options

and as a side note, when entering my login info for my BMO account, i Have multiple accounts contained therein, but it is only adding the first account - my chequing account

I also have a savings account, visa account, and a investment account

• Blue1982
    Blue1982 Member ✭✭
    Options

Adding some pictures to explain what I see -

adding the account, entering my credentials - as you see it says Mastercard # (it's not a mastercard, just my online login)

^ - showing the info it i has pulled from BMO online, all correct except it displays type as CREDIT CARD and that is the only option in the drop down

^ once it's added to quicken, this is the account detail screen. it's all correct. however there is no way to change the account from Credit as you will see it is not changeable

• Blue1982
    Blue1982 Member ✭✭
    Options

bump, no one has experienced this as well?

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @Blue1982,

Which BMO instance are you attempting to connect to?

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Blue1982
    Blue1982 Member ✭✭
    Options

hi jasmine

i'm selecting the first one that comes up when entering BMO into the search bar

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just to clarify: Are you using the Canadian version of Quicken for Windows? Or the US version?

That's important to know, so the Quicken Support team can look at the correct Quicken definition files, US or Canada, to solve this problem.

• Blue1982
    Blue1982 Member ✭✭
    Options

quicken classic - business and personal - Edition Canada

version R52.28

build 27.152.28

is what the about page shows me

• Blue1982
    Blue1982 Member ✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Jasmine just tagging you back on this :)

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @Blue1982,

I have attempted to simulate this within my own Quicken for Windows and cannot replicate it. I want to try a few troubleshooting steps with you before trying to add the BMO account(s) again.

First, backup your Quicken file.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Please let me know how this goes.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Blue1982
    Blue1982 Member ✭✭
    Options

hi @Quicken Jasmine

not sure why my first reply didnt go through, but

both validation options have not fixed the problem thanks

• Blue1982
    Blue1982 Member ✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Jasmine

thanks for taking the time

i attempted both validations as you described, and the issue still persists

the account is still appearing as a 'credit' account and displaying transactions as 'charges' or 'payments' instead of 'payment' or 'deposit' like a regular checking account would

thanks

• Blue1982
    Blue1982 Member ✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Jasmine

i was fooling around with it, and discovered the proper institution to select for me was:

BMO Bank of Montreal Mosaik M-C

i selected that and it fixed my issues completely

I also wanted to note I have never heard of BMO Mosaik, it is not what I use so not entirely sure why this works but the first option that comes up "BMO Bank of Montreal" does not

might want to have the developers look into adjusting this so it's much easier for users to find what they need, as BMO Mosaik is not the name of the accounts we use , i believe this is the name of one of their credit cards, but not the one I use

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is a problem that has been ongoing with Quicken for a decade or more - that is, this BMO Mosaik issue. BMO Mosaik is a brand that BMO Bank of Montreal created more than a decade ago and then later abandoned. The brand concept behind the Mosaik was that it was a Mastercard for which you could choose your own benefits - there were options to choose between. However, it has been more than a decade since BMO Mosaik existed. Most people don't have any recollection of the brand. I've raised this issue with Quicken countless times and there have been many, many posts about this issue over the years. Quicken has consistently ignored the issue or responded with "we can't do anything - it is a bank issue". Each time the issue surfaces there is no memory of the past pain and resolution.

I don't know what the true root cause of the issue is or even who is at fault, but it continues to affect a lot of people because it is entirely non-intuitive that one would have to use a financial institution brand that doesn't exist. I can't imagine how this could be an unsolvable issue. At the very least, investigate and provide some transparency as to why the issues persists. And, educate the Quicken Community Moderators and the support people about the issue - which also never happened.

And, yes, I'm one of the people that is affected by this issue. I can only download from BMO Bank of Montreal if I use the Mosaik option. Now, I am only downloading credit card data from BMO (no bank accounts) and once-upon-a-time I did have a BMO Mosaik branded Mastercard, but my Mosaik card was terminated - with the entire brand - more than a decade ago.

@Quicken Jasmine here is an opportunity to address an issue that has affected a large number of your Canadian users for over a decade!

Neither Validate nor SuperValidate will do anything to help with this issue. It is some sort of financial institution branding / login URL issue. If you check the FIDIR.TXT you will see that the two institution have different entries. I tried to paste the entries below but the Community reformats the pasted content into a format that makes it read incorrectly. So, you'll have to look this up in the FIDIR.TXT file, which, for me is found in: "C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Can\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\2019\fidir.txt"

• Blue1982
    Blue1982 Member ✭✭
    Options

@Arctic Hare Intuit / Quick should hire you to consult on their problems and issues!

outstanding.

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'd be satisfied if Quicken did a reasonable job of acting on issues that are clearly laid out like this one. The moderators could search the archives and this forum and the previous incarnation of the Community as well as my problem reports and emails to Quicken staff and see how many times the issue has been brought to their attention.

Intuit might be involved in this issue because Quicken uses Intuit for data aggregation and, evidently, this issue involves data aggregation. I suppose that is where the complexity comes in - there are at least three parties involved: Quicken, Intuit, and BMO. Nonetheless, it still doesn't appear to be the kind of issue that is unsolvable. If it was an issue with connecting with one of the major US banks in the USA version of Quicken, this would have been fixed a decade ago….

This discussion has been closed.