Transactions from E*TRADE not downloaded or appearing in Quicken

Options
LouDernosek
LouDernosek Member ✭✭

I'm having a number of different problems since the Morgan Stanley conversion… Most alarmingly, I've made a number of trades in my E*TRADE brokerage accounts in the last few days; but the transactions are not showing up in Quicken. I've spoken with both Quicken and E*TRADE technical support but so far they're just pointing fingers at each other. E*TRADE says they're sending the transactions but Quicken initially indicated they weren't receiving them. After I pulled up the Quicken log file on my computer, it's clear that Quicken is receiving them but apparently doesn't know what to do with them. Not sure whose problem it is; but the two are clearly not communicating correctly - messages are either encoded incorrectly by E*TRADE, or Quick is not correctly decoding them…

The Quicken support person pointed me to an alert that doesn't seem to apply to my situation.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hello @LouDernosek,

To start troubleshooting, are you getting any error messages and/or error codes? When you try to update the account, does it claim it downloaded successfully, but then shows 0 new transactions? Are you using Simple tracking or Complete tracking? To check this, go to Tools>Account List, click the Edit button next to the account, then on the General tab, near the lower left, it should show which tracking method is selected. If it shows Simple tracking, you may want to try changing to Complete tracking.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Nancy R Cservak
    Nancy R Cservak Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

As of 9/1/23 when Etrade converted to new 9 digit account numbers, the transactions for my brokerage & IRA accounts will not download. I have followed their instructions to deactivate my Quicken accounts, have updated the account numbers & re-linked them thru set up now in Quicken & restarted Quicken several times. I get no errors, it just doesn't download the data thru direct connect.

[Merged Post]

• LouDernosek
    LouDernosek Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm using Complete tracking… And yet another related nuance to this issue - I updated this morning and 7 transaction that belong to one E*TRADE account are showing up in the Downloaded Transactions list for a different (E*TRADE) account. And the really interesting thing is that 3 of the total of 10 transactions downloaded from E*TRADE are in the correct list. As a computer software engineer myself, it seems that there are bugs related to the handling of transactions between E*TRADE and Quicken. And note that everything was working fine for years for me until the switch to Morgan Stanley as of September 1st. I'm wondering if deactivating my E*TRADE accounts in Quicken, and then creating them again from scratch might get around the issues.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply @LouDernosek,

The most common cause of transactions downloading into an incorrect account is if the account gets connected/reconnected to an incorrect nickname in Quicken. If you haven't done so already, I would recommend going to Tools>Account List, click the Edit button by the affected account(s), and on the General tab, verify that it is seeing the correct account number.

If it is seeing an incorrect account number, then you would need to backup your Quicken file, deactivate the account(s) in Quicken that is connected to the wrong account from the financial institution, then reconnect by going to Tools>Add Account, following the prompts, and carefully linking the account(s) to ensure they are connected to the correct nickname in Quicken.

@Nancy R Cservak,

To troubleshoot the issue, first check the account number to make sure there aren't any spaces. To do that, first, backup your Quicken file, then go to Tools>Account List, click the Edit button next to each affected account, and on the General tab, you should be able to view/edit the account number.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• Nancy R Cservak
    Options

The instructions on Etrade are below. I've done all of them, including deactivating my Etrade accounts. I agree with LouDernosek that there's a miscommunication somewhere.

• LouDernosek
    LouDernosek Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Yes, @Nancy R Cservak - I have done everything as you have (and more). And I've double-checked the account numbers as suggested by @Quicken Kristina. I am a long time Quicken user and these online accounts have been set up for a long time, and I've never experienced these kinds of problems before. Looking at the synch log files, I do see what look like the transactions that are missing but not processed. It's clear to me that whatever E*TRADE is sending is not being identified and processed correctly when it gets to Quicken. Note that I did NOT notice this issue when I did the initial conversion on September 1 (not that it wasn't already happening) - it was only when I initiated a bunch of trade activity in the account(s) on E*TRADE that those transactions were not getting reflected in Quicken. As part of the conversion to Morgan Stanley accounts, E*TRADE has changed the format or content of the message it's sending to Quicken to synchronize the accounts and Quicken doesn't know what to do with it. And it's apparently not reporting the problem…

• LouDernosek
    LouDernosek Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Oops - I meant to say that I did NOT notice this issue when I did the initial conversion… (I edited the comment accordingly)

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply @Nancy R Cservak,

Since you have followed the directions E*Trade sent you and it did not work, I would recommend reaching out to Quicken Support directly for further assistance since they have access to tools that I do not and they are able to escalate the issue as needed. The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

@LouDernosek,

You mentioned that you checked the account numbers. Did you verify that the accounts are connected to the correct account names in Quicken?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• LouDernosek
    LouDernosek Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

@Quicken Kristina - yes.

And I've reached out to Quicken Support once already and will follow up.

Also, as an experiment, I deactivated one of my E*TRADE accounts in Quicken, then and added the same E*TRADE account back as a new account in Quicken. That new account now correctly reflects the current state of the E*TRADE account, although it only contains transaction back to July 2nd.

I posted here to both confirm that other folks are experiencing the same/similar problems with E*TRADE accounts, as well as to alert the community as to their existence.

This discussion has been closed.