Projected Investment Account Balances

Options
JoelC
JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭

In Quicken for Windows I can setup my investment accounts to show projected account balances.

Is there a way in Quicken for Mac to do the same and, if yes, then how, as I am unable to find it (very very frustrating)!

It is noted that in Settings → Sidebar there is the ability to show projected account balances but it has no impact on the investment accounts!

Why would I want to do this; because, I have pending transfers of funds from my banking accounts to my investment accounts to be invested in the coming week and currently the pending transferred funds do not show in the investment account balances!

PS. Additional ask, how long is going to take for Quicken to empower the macOS version with the Windows capability of setting all registers of a given kind to be identical (i.e., in BOTH columns [already exists] and column spacing [nowhere to be found])?

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

You should visit this Idea thread and add your vote and comment:

No one can answer when improved features and functionality will arrive, so there's no one who can answer your second question. It's best to keep each post to one topic to make tracking ideas easier. Here is an existing Idea thread for this second issue:

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@jacobs , as always thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

While it is comforting to know that I did not miss finding the setting that I was looking for, it is disappointing (at least to me) that these two long standing requests, both of which are included in Quicken for Windows, have yet to be implemented.

With a little luck Quicken for macOS will catch up to Quicken for Windows so I can fully make the transition.

PS. Agree with keeping items / posts separate.

• jacobs
    Options

@JoelC There are still hundreds of features, large and small, which users have asked for and which the developers have yet to address. That’s not to say there is no progress, because there is steady — albeit slow — progress in adding features to Quicken Mac.

In my observation, the developers spend more time working on adding things which currently can’t be done than they do on enhancing things which can. The request to be able to copy/apply register settings from one register to others was partly addressed — you can apply the same fields, but not the same order and width — but they haven’t returned to it to implement the additional features.

In my opinion, this would be nice for ease of use, but it isn’t as mission-critical as adding things which simply cannot currently be done. It’s not something users do every day, or even often; once registers are set up as desired, they’re usually untouched thereafter. I certainly wouldn’t let this deter you from making the move to Quicken Mac; you might spend some time manually tweaking your register setups, but that’s a one-time job.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@jacobs , I agree and understand most of what you wrote noting I currently run BOTH Quicken for Mac and Quicken for Windows. I agree that teh columns are a "setup and forget" thing but it is so cumbersome and so time consuming that I have abandoned even trying and the lack of consistency "bothers me".

One possible workaround would be teh ability to duplicate and account (i.e., including its settings) with a pop-up window forcing an account name change.

That said, I hope this feature gets added much sooner than later.

• jacobs
    Options

@JoelC said: I agree that the columns are a "setup and forget" thing but it is so cumbersome and so time consuming that I have abandoned even trying and the lack of consistency "bothers me".

Here's a trick you may or may not find useful…

Set up one cash account and one credit card account exactly the way you want. When done, in each one, pull down the Columns menu sand select the next-to-last option to Apply to all Cash Accounts and Apply to All Credit Card Accounts. That gets all the same fields included in each account, but they're no int he same order or same width. Now double click your reference cash account to open it in a new window. Double click your next cash account to open that in a new window as well. Position these two windows with the reference on visible at the top and the one you need to tweak just below it. This makes it easy to arrange the columns in the same order and make them the same width.

Close the second window, and double-click on the next cash account repeating this process until all your cash accounts are set up identically. Then repeat the process for your credit card accounts. (Also do the account groups Cash, Credit Cars, and Banking.)

Is is perfect to the exact pixel? Probably not. Is is visually the same from account to account? Absolutely.

For investment accounts, there's unfortunately no "Apply to All Investing Accounts" command like there is for Cash and Credit Cards. But you can use the same approach of setting up one account the way you want, and then opening it and the next account in overlapping windows to match the columns to your reference account, and repeating through all your accounts.

Now, how much time this takes depends entirely on how many accounts you have. I have about 30 active accounts. (I haven't bothered to standardize some old, closed accounts I rarely if ever look at.) If you have two or three or more times that number of accounts, then this manual adjusting of accounts may seem too daunting to attack. But if you have a modest number of active accounts, it really doesn't take very long per account (20 or 30 seconds each?) to make it match your reference account. And again remember you (a) don't need to do this for every account all at once and (b) only need to do it once and then your accounts are pretty much permanently set the way you want them.

Again, I'm all for the developers automating this so users can do it with a couple button clicks. But until they do, this is a manageable problem for anyone wanting to move from Quicken Windows to Mac. 😀

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@jacobs , excelelct idea, thank and will give it a spin! Should work very well!

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@jacobs, I gave it a go and, as you said, it is a definite improvement but not perfect. I am still hoping that Quicken adds this functionality.

Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.