How to remove Wells Fargo splash screen

Options
Don Awalt
Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭

I finally got tired of the Wells Fargo splash screen on Quicken startup, and I wanted to get the new Quicken Classic splash screen. I thought I could do this through the QUICKEN.INI file; the line:

Splash=C:\ProgramData\Quicken\03000\SPLASH.BMP

I tried deleting it, commenting it out, and making it just 'Splash='. It works until I do a download from Wells Fargo, then it changes back again.

How can I get rid of it permanently? Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind - I found a splash.png file with the Classic/Premier splash screen, I converted it to a BMP file, put it in the Quicken folder where the CONFIG.INI points to:

BMP file goes into C:\ProgramData\Quicken\03000.

config.ini entry is

Done! Wells Fargo won't overwrite it now.

Comments

• William Van Auken
    Options

So could you tell me how to do this? I found the new SPLASH.BMP in the in the Windows Program Files (x86) then QUICKEN. What do I do? I'm not real familiar with stuff when going to the command prompt app.

• Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sure. Let me know if anyone sees errors in this and/or feel free to correct:

There are two parts to this, first set the Quicken config file to point to your desired splash image, and second to "create" and save the splash file in the folder pointed to by the config file. This does make assumptions you have access to folders, have the proper permissions, etc., as most Windows users do.

1. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken, and look at the PNG files there. You'll likely find a PNG file that expresses your installation, like Quicken Classic Deluxe, or Premier, etc. I think one just says "Quicken Classic".
    2. Open it with Paint, and then do a "Save As", with type "BMP" to save it as 'SPLASH.BMP. Now, depending on which PNG file you use, after seeing this run you may want to do some editing of the file in PAINT or your favorite image editor. The file I chose had a border around it, I changed the borders to all red, all the way to the edges.
    3. Next, go to C:\ProgramData\Quicken\03000. If there is already a SPLASH.BMP there, rename it just to be safe.
    4. Take the SPLASH.BMP file you just created in step 2, and copy it to C:\ProgramData\Quicken\03000.
    5. Now to modify the config file….go to C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Config, and edit CONFIG.INI by double clicking on it - it should come up in Notepad.
    6. Scroll down the CONFIG.INI file until you see a line that starts 'SPLASH='. It may already say Splash=C:\ProgramData\Quicken\03000\SPLASH.BMP', if it does not, comment that line out by placing a semi-colon (;) in the first position of the line, and immediately above it insert a new line as such:

• 7. Save the CONFIG.INI file. Run Quicken! TA-DAA!!!!! New splash screen. This one should stay there until you change it (have not tested with an upgrade, if a program upgrade messes it up, just do this process again. I believe it will stay though.)

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @Don Awalt,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community and sharing!

This is great advice/information for other users who may experience the same issue.

Have a wonderful day!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• dp gman
    dp gman Member ✭✭
    Options

Perfect - Just what I wanted !

I can't thank you enough!

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

just some extra tidbits -

The - Quicken.INI - file has the "marketing" info which includes the splash screen banner - guessing it is a sponsor.
    The "number" is the Quicken Bank ID and there might be several/lots of those numbers/folders in the sub-dir.
    … C:\ProgramData\Quicken\….

SO - at any point in time, that "number" might change,
    based upon who is paying for the marketing of the splash screen.

Here is mine - and that "07776" number matches the Bank ID "BID" number for "Fidelity Investments" - which we have -

[MarketingMessages]
    SplashExpired=0
    Splash=C:\ProgramData\Quicken\07776\SPLASH.BMP
    BID=7776

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• RSM2000
    RSM2000 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

This is super annoying… I wonder if you altered [MarketingMessages] and then SplashExpired=1 if you could just have the new Quicken Classic Splash screen WITHOUT -any-financial institution logo. I am not a fan of Wells Fargo, but sadly I have ONE credit card with them (nothing else) and so that card is tracked in Quicken. I would be fine with some of my other financial institutions, I think the USER should be free to select which one appears on the splash or at minimum be allowed to 'opt out' of ANY financial institution on splash screen! We pay annually for Quicken, please NO COMMERCIALS!

• Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

why don’t you just follow the instructions above to remove the splash screen with the bank logo?

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You only get the FI branding if the FI is one you are downloading transactions from. The FI pays Quicken for that branding info, it is part of the revenue for Quicken Inc. Without this revenue, the cost of Quicken subscription would likely be increased.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ed Mooney
    Ed Mooney Member ✭✭
    Options

I no longer have a WF account, so it was sufficient to rename "C:\ProgramData\Quicken\03000".

Home, Business & Rental Property R54.16 | Win 10 Pro 64

• Geobrick
    Geobrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Update: It's even easier than we thought. There's no need to mess with the background colors. Just rename the classic logo you want to SPLASH.BMP and put it in the folder path called out in the Quicken.ini file. There's no need to open the .png file to save it as a BMP because doing that removes the transparent background. For some reason, windows figures out that the file is really a .png underneath and opens it correctly. How did I figure that out? When I couldn't get the transparent background by saving the png image as a BMP, I looked at the original Fidelity version of SPLASH.BMP using mediainfo and saw this, "Container and General Information: PNG: 69.1KiB and FileExtension_Invalid: png pns". That made me realize their BMP file is really a purposely misnamed png file. Just renaming it with a .BMP extension works great and maintains the transparent background. Try it.

It even displays correctly here.

(My previous reply)
    **************************************************************************************************************************
    Good to know how to do it. After years of the splash saying E*Trade, it now says Fidelity. I don't know when it changed but I never liked it. It made it seem like it was a special edition offered free from E*Trade. I thought the install went wrong or maybe E*Trade was the first account I set up in Quicken. It annoyed me but never thought about doing anything about it. Today when I saw Fidelity I decided to search the forum to find out how to fix it. Thanks for posting the fix.

This discussion has been closed.