Can Quicken on the Web help my situation?

Options
Howspa
Howspa Member ✭✭
edited November 2023 in Using Quicken on the Web

I have been using Quicken for Windows on my desktop for over 20 years — with all transactions since 2001 in my Quicken database file on my desktop (along with backup copies). Now my wife wants to help — but she doesn't want to use my PC because she is a Mac person. She would like to enter categories, tags and memos for the downloaded transactions from her bank accounts and credit cards, instead of me doing that. Is there anyway that she can operate a version of Quicken from her Mac that only has her accounts — which then I could import into my master database that has everything? I saw some discussion that Simplifi and Quicken do not sync, I was hoping they might — because my wife also thinks my version of Quicken is way too complicated. If she used Quicken on the Web for her parts, could I import her records into my Quicken for Windows on my desktop (I have never used Quicken on the Web, so have zero knowledge about it)

Any suggestions?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've not used Quicken on the Web (and won't, as "syncing" seems to frequently be associated with data corruption) but Quicken does have a FAQ about the app that might help answer your questions. There's a "Windows" and "Mac" tab on the FAQ.

https://www.quicken.com/support/mac/quicken-web-frequently-asked-questions

• Howspa
    Howspa Member ✭✭
    Options

@Tom Young

Any other ideas for how to share the responsibility of updating Quicken between two users, one on a Windows PC and one on a Mac?

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You could use Remote Desktop software.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Howspa
    Howspa Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you @Greg_the_Geek However, I don't think remote desktop software is enough. Part of the dilemma is that my instance of Quicken is too complex for my wife (I've hidden as much as possible but menus still come up with hundreds of options left over from years ago). I'm looking for a way that she can operate Quicken, but only on the last year or so of transactions and only on her own checking and credit card accounts. Then I would like to review her work before importing into my master Quicken database.

@Greg_the_Geek @Tom Young — any other suggestions?

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

One thing to know is Windows and Mac Quicken are different. They use different data files. You can't go back and forth between them. I don't think how you want to use it is doable.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Howspa
    Howspa Member ✭✭
    Options

@volvogirl - Does Quicken on the Web use the Windows version or the Mac version of the data files — or is it another different version altogether?

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry I don't know anything about the web app. I'm still using Quicken 2013 on Windows.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

I suggest you try Quicken on the Web using a test file and see if it does what you want.

If you decide to use it with your working data, make sure you have frequent backups in case something goes wrong.

There are many reports that the syncing process sometimes corrupts people's data.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

BE CAREFUL - if you are going to try a test file - DO NOT make a copy using Windows File Explorer -

either start with a NEW file - or use the Quicken Menu - —- File —> Copy or Backup —> Create a Copy or Template —>

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Sorry, by "test file" I mean a newly created blank file with some bogus transactions that you enter manually. When experimenting, you want to keep you test data as far separate from your actual data as possible.

• Howspa
    Howspa Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks @Jim_Harman and @Ps56k2

Say the Quicken on the Web manual test goes OK, with my wife able to update from her Mac and me able to update from my Windows PC. So we decide to make it real. Now, I would use "Quicken Menu - File —> Copy or Backup —> Create a Copy or Template —>" of my locally stored data file on my PC, then upload it to Quicken on the Web. Now, from Quicken on the Web I delete all of the accounts that my wife is not going to update, leaving only the ones that she is, and then delete all of historical transactions data for her accounts. This should give her a "blank" datafile to download transactions into and categorize her own spending going forward. Yes?

Now for the key question in this thought experiment — how do I take her work and combine it with my own? Will I ever be able to import my wife's Quicken on the Web datafile into my separate master datafile, either on Quicken on the Web or on Quicken for Windows on my PC?

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

no - wrong mental concept -

Start with Quicken desktop - Windows or Mac -
    and you ENABLE the Quicken Cloud SYNC for certain of your Quicken defined accounts.

Then those account attributes are uploaded to the Quicken Cloud
    which now acts as a proxy between your desktop Quicken
    and the financial institutions - —-
    AND - the Quicken Mobile App
    AND the Quicken on the Web browser portal -

So any changes made to the selected accounts will be reflected in the other devices via the Quicken Cloud -
    BUT…. as mentioned … because of all this complexity - there have been Quicken data corruptions caused by SYNC.

https://www.quicken.com/support/what-quicken-cloud

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Now, from Quicken on the Web I delete all of the accounts that my wife is not going to update, leaving only the ones that she is, and then delete all of historical transactions data for her accounts. This should give her a "blank" datafile to download transactions into and categorize her own spending going forward. Yes?

No No No!

If you delete accounts or transactions in Quicken on the Web, they may also get deleted in your desktop software when Quicken tries to "Sync" the 2 sets of data, which you definitely do not want!

None of us are experts on this because we do not use Quicken on the Web, but apparently if you go to Edit > Preferences > Mobile and Web and enable syncing, you can choose which accounts you want to sync between your desktop and the "Quicken Cloud", which is where Quicken on the Web gets its data. Thus you would only expose her accounts on the web interface. Again, if she deletes accounts or transactions, they will probably also be deleted in your desktop data.

Please experiment with new test file and let us know what you find, and make backups in case something unexpected happens.

• Howspa
    Howspa Member ✭✭
    Options

OK, thanks everyone. I will experiment with Quicken on the Web using a test file and let you know what I find out.

• obchang1
    obchang1 Member
    Options

Hi Howspa, I am intrigued by your issue. I also have extensive quicken data dating back (to 1992) and was once hoping that my partner could participate in the considerable work of data entry. It's a good start that you have a willing participant. There is a lot of complexity to a quicken file that's been around so long. In order to get her help without risking the integrity of your files, have you considered having her enter transactions on the fly, maybe daily or every few days, as she enacts them, on the mobile app? If she makes a regular habit of it, you'll be able to see the information she adds. I say this without being a user of the mobile app, so I'm not sure you get all the functionality of memos and tags, but I can't imagine that categories aren't there. Then, when you're "checking" the work, you can inquire as to any transactions she may have forgotten to add.

• Howspa
    Howspa Member ✭✭
    Options

@obchang1 - Hi there. Thanks for your comments. My Quicken file is too complex for my spouse to even enter a few transactions on the fly, as you suggest. I have all of our personal and rental properties' income/expenses going back to 1999. Even with the option to hide categories, accounts, etc. there is just too much for her and she gets easily frustrated. I am looking for a way that she can update the transactions for just certain accounts (her own checking and credit cards) with categories to assign limited to only those that are relevant. Ideally, she could do this independently and then I could merge her file with mine after I check her work. So far, I have not discovered a way to accomplish this — however, I have not had the time to experiment with any of the ideas shared in this Quicken community thread yet.

This discussion has been closed.