Risk of overdraft warning

Options
Paul17
Paul17 Member ✭✭

I posted this several months ago, but Quicken simply closed the discussion without comment.

For more than a year now, Quicken has been warning me of a risk of overdraft. When I click on the message, it shows the accounts it's looking at to provide this warning. The only account it's looking at is one I rarely use. I want it to look only at my main checking account.

So I set the preference to look only at my main checking account, and the graph updates and it all looks good. But my preference does not get saved! The next time I look, I'm still getting that warning, and Quicken is still looking only at that unimportant account.

I called Quicken support, and the tech, sorry to say, was completely clueless. They told me that my Quicken file was corrupt and I should rebuild it from scratch. Sheesh! That's the worst advice I've gotten from anybody in a very long time.

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hello @Paul17,

Let’s try a few troubleshooting steps for this issue—these steps should resolve things for you, but if not, please come back and post more about your experience so we can investigate. 

I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Paul17
    Paul17 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for responding. I've tried Validate and Repair before, but it didn't help. I've never heard of Super Validate and Repair until just now.

I tried the Super, and it reported no errors. I closed Quicken and waited several seconds before reopening it. Unfortunately, the problem persists - Quicken still won't save my preferences, and insists on looking only at that one unimportant account.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @Paul17,

Are you able to restore from a backup that was created before this issue began to occur?

You may follow this link to access a FAQ that provides more information regarding saving/restoring from backups.

Please let us know!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Paul17
    Paul17 Member ✭✭
    Options

No, I can't do that. This issue has been ongoing for many months, perhaps more than a year.

I get the feeling that the file is fine; it's just that Quicken is unable to save those preferences. Is there a file that contains those prefs? Perhaps it got marked read-only, or something like that. I can edit it manually if necessary.

• Paul17
    Paul17 Member ✭✭
    Options

It's also possible that this functionality was broken by an update some time ago, and I'm the only one who complained. Frankly, that seems more likely. Perhaps you could try to reproduce the problem. Does it happen for you?

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Where in Quicken are you seeing the risk of overdraft message? On the Home tab, the Spending tab, or someplace else?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Paul17
    Paul17 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

The Home tab (Main View, not Dashboard), in the section "Stay On Top of Monthly Bills". It says "Risk of Overdraft". When I click on that, I get a popup window titled Projected Balances. Toward the top right of that window is a dropdown menu where I can specify which accounts should be examined for that report. It is my selection in that menu that does not get saved.

• Paul17
    Paul17 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Why can't I delete this comment?

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You're correct. That does appear to be a bug.
    Performing the same sequence (Home tab, My Money page, Stay on Top of Monthly bills view and click on "See Projected Balances" or "Risk of Overdraft" in your case) I can change the view to a selection of "Multiple Accounts". However, when closing the view and entering it again in the same Quicken session, the Projected Balances view reverts back to only show "Spending Accounts".
    IMHO, it should save the customized "Multiple Accounts" selection for future views.

BTW, as an alternative view, you can customize the Bills & Income tab's Projected Balances view to your desired "Multiple Accounts" selection. The customization of this view is saved across Quicken sessions.
    For a one-click access to this view you can optionally customize the Quicken Toolbar and add a "Go to Bills > Projected Balances" toolbar icon.

• Paul17
    Paul17 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you! I look forward to seeing the fix in some upcoming release.

• CRS
    CRS Member ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

I am also having this issue, but in my case, I can't figure out what account is causing the "risk of overdraft" to appear. All my checking accounts have no risk of overdraft when you look at the account independently. It looks like on the Home screen it's also picking up credit card balances which are of course negative. When you click to the "Risk of Overdraft" button, you can select just the "Spending" Accounts which for me are my bank accounts. There things look normal, but it won't save to remain on the Home page. I think something must have scramble this up in one of the recent releases, as the projected balances were always correct for me before.

This discussion has been closed.