lost all of my renaming rules! I know it is quicken software and NOT my database but cannot fix!

Options
NQSC
NQSC Member

Been too long of a quicken user. Currently on this terrible subscription model - had to reformat my win 10 pc 6 months ago and finally reinstalled quicken today. Reinstalled fine, opened my database and starting using it again - found out all my renaming rules and memorized payees are gone. Uh what? Fortunately i found a solution to the memorized payees and was able to recreate most of them but renaming rules are still gone. so then I went and restored previous backups so i can maybe at least get a print out- still no rules. Went back further to 2020, nope. then 2016 backups - no rules. Went back even further to my 2011 backups - still no rules. But I KNOW i had them as i used them for many many years. So given these results, it is obvious that quicken is doing SOMETHING when opening my files or restoring backups to remove information. MAKE IT STOP AND GIVE ME MY RENAMING RULES BACK!

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

I know that Memorized Payees are purged based on a user preference setting:

It could be that Renaming Rules are affected by the same setting.

Try setting your computer's date back to when the backup was made and do the restore with the older date and see if they are still there for you to document.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

I know that Memorized Payees are purged based on a user preference setting:

It could be that Renaming Rules are affected by the same setting.

Try setting your computer's date back to when the backup was made and do the restore with the older date and see if they are still there for you to document.

• NQSC
    NQSC Member
    Options

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

you are correct - same setting affected renaming rules as well.

Changing the computer date back to the day after last backup date worked!

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Glad to hear that it solved the issue. It was truly a stab in the dark on my part since I have never heard of Renaming Rules being affected by this Memorized Payee setting.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I just did an experiment on a test file and I observed the following. Maybe someone can confirm this.

• Manually deleting a Memorized Payee does not delete the corresponding Renaming Rule
    • The auto-delete of Memorized Payees after X months only affects entries that are not locked (I always lock my Memorized Payees because I don't want the Category to change if I change it manually for a particular transaction.)
    • When a Memorized Payee is auto-deleted, the corresponding Renaming Rule is also deleted after you restart Quicken

I guess auto-deleting the old Renaming Rules makes sense, because these are Payees that you don't often use and it helps to un-clutter the Renaming Rules.

If this behavior is by design, it would be nice if there were some mention of it in the Help.

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.