How do I get the historical portfolio values after the TDAmeritrade to Schwab migration?

Options
Phloebus
Phloebus Member
edited November 2023 in Investing (Mac)

After the merger and transferring our accounts from TDAmeritrade to the Schwab account equivalents, all of the years of transaction history seems to have migrated properly, but the portfolio value history begins from the day of the transfer. The graph essentially shows the portfolio was at zero until the transfer date, September 5th. It appears the historical daily stock closing values on which the portfolio values are calculated just is missing. Is there a way to restore the stock history files?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

How were your holdings moved from the TDAmeritrade account to the Schwab account? Were there a series of Remove Shares from the former and Add Shares to the latter? Is the old TD account set to Hide in Lists? (Go to Accounts > Hide & Show Accounts). If it's Hidden, un-hide it. Although this will result in seeing the TD Ameritrade with a zero balance in the left sidebar, but it will restore the history in your portfolio graph.

This is a particularly egregious bug which the developers have been aware of for a long time but have not yet fixed. By Quicken's own definition, "Hide in Lists" should remove the account from the sidebar and transaction popup account lists — but nothing more; it should not cause the account to be hidden from graphs. This is from Quicken Help:

The previous Quicken Mac product manager acknowledged this needed to be fixed, saying this more than two years ago:

Quite honestly, it's just an oversight on our part. Of course, historical data from closed accounts should appear in a market value overtime chart, and if you go back in time in the portfolio view when clicked on an investment group section such as Investing you should, at least, have the option of seeing your data from a hidden account. We'll investigate. I don't know how easy or hard it is but my guess is that it shouldn't be too difficult.

Although it shouldn't be necessary for users to have to vote for an enhancement for something acknowledged as a bug, that's where we are. I encourage you to visit this thread and add your vote (in the yellow box under the first post):

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Phloebus
    Phloebus Member
    Options

Jacob, thanks for the thoughtful response. Actually, I'm not sure how TDAmeritrade and Schwab did the migration, but the steps I took in Quicken were to Rename the accounts, Disconnect them from TDAmeritrade, then Reconnected with the new Financial Entity, Schwab associated with the renamed existing accounts. The TDAmeritrade accounts were never "closed" or "hidden." Like I said, this seemed to all work pretty smoothly allowing continuing downloads of transactions with continuity of the data. What puzzles me is why the historical data for the stocks is missing. I realize now that each holding, unlike the transactions, was apparently "Added" on the day of the switchover — there's no history, nor is there any record of the basis! Presumably, as promised, all those records were transferred and accessible through Schwab, but it would take a lot of work for me to reconstruct them in Quicken from the transaction history!

• jlgg
    jlgg Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Phloebus, I believe I followed exactly the same steps you have described when I migrated my accounts from TD Ameritrade to Schwab in early Sep. However in my case, all historical data, cost basis, etc were retained. Is it possible for you to restore a back-up prior to the migration and try again? If I remember correctly, and I'm certainly not positive about this, at some point in the process an option is presented to link the new account(s) with the old TDA accounts, or to create new accounts. Could something have gone wrong at that point? There must be solution for your situation. Good Luck.

Edit: I also remember that the holdings for each security (ie # of shares held) were added to each account at the first download. This doubled the holdings in each account since I was merging to the old accounts. I deleted each of those new downloads and my accounts were correct in every way. If I click on "edit security" for any of my holdings, I can see the complete price history for all years, and the graphs are complete for any time interval.

• Phloebus
    Phloebus Member
    Options

Jlgg, thanks for letting me know that you were successful with the migration using a similar approach. It gives me hope there’s a simple solution. I’m reluctant to try restoring from a backup going back that long, because I’m not confident in my ability to bring all of my bank and credit card accounts up to date again. But, maybe I can try disconnecting one Schwab account and reconnecting it to see if it can restore the portfolio history along with the transaction history.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

When you look at the transactions in the old TD Ameritrade account, is everything still there? Are there a series of Remove Shares transactions which Quicken created to move the holdings to the new account? you said you didn't close or hide this account, so I'm trying to understand what's there. Or is there no TD account at all and just the Schwab account renamed from the old TD Ameritrade account? If there's just the one account (old TD Ameritrade now renamed as Charles Schwab), and none of the old transactions are there, then I'd think your history is gone.

If you go back to your pre-conversion backup, you could try a different approach. Create a new Charles Schwab account — just manual, not connected for downloading yet. In the TD Ameritrade account, create a New transaction, and select Type=Transfer Shares. Under Transfer, click All Securities, and under Transfer to Account, select the new Schwab account. Click Save, and Quicken will generate a series of Remove Shares transactions in the TD account and a corresponding series of Add Shares transactions in the Schwab account. Once you verify that everything looks correct with all your holdings and balances in the new account and no holdings in the old TD account, make a backup for safety, and then connect the Schwab account for downloading. (Click on the Schwab account, click on Account Settings, click the Downloads tab, and click Connect Account. Follow the prompts to identify Schwab and enter your login credentials. If Quicken asks whether to Add or Link this account, be sure to select Link.) Hopefully Schwab and Quicken will happily agree that all your holdings are correct, and you can move forward.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Phloebus
    Phloebus Member
    Options

There’s just the TDA account renamed and continuing on as a Schwab successor. The transaction history is all there but securities are “added” at zero dollars at the time of the transition. There appear to be greyed out removal transactions offsetting the add transactions so the holdings are correct at the time of the transition. In the case of my grandson’s UGMA account, the greyed out removal transaction are all the way back to the initial

• Phloebus
    Phloebus Member
    Options

continues…

account setup with the notation that says the quantities are to make the quantities post-splits correct on the transition date. It seems that all that would be needed to create the historical portfolio graph would be the historical stock prices, since the holdings should be tracking accurately including splits.

This discussion has been closed.