Transfer Reminder Dates Advance Eroneously

Options
goodellj
goodellj Member ✭✭

I have several weekly reminders to transfer funds on payday to separate bank accounts where I set aside a weekly amount for annual property tax and similar bills. The dates are advancing on their own! I have been doing this for years and only seen this problem for a few months. I have corrected the next due date, but then it advances again. I have deleted the reminder and reentered it, but it still advances. Anyone else seen this and what is the solution?

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Why shouldn't the date advance as a reminder is entered?

How about showing us screenshot of a reminder that is acting this way?

Exactly how is the date advancing?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• goodellj
    goodellj Member ✭✭
    Options

If I use the reminder which is a weekly reminder, such as Tuesday October 3rd, the reminder advances to October 10th, Good so far. A few hours or a day later, I notice the date advances again to Tuesday October 17th. All by itself. I don't exit Quicken, go to a different user account, or otherwise touch the reminders in any way. I have a couple of these weekly reminders and half of them exhibit this abnormal activity, and the others behave the way they are supposed to.

Sorry if my post was confusing, but I thought that saying a reminder was advancing abnormally on it's own would be sufficient.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Please do show us an image snapshot of one of those reminders' "Edit this and all future instances" view.
    This is an example of the view I'd like to see:

How do I post a screenshot in the community from windows

How do I post a screenshot in the community from a mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• goodellj
    goodellj Member ✭✭
    Options

Here is a screenshot of one of the misbehaving reminders:

I have tried various settings for 'remind me in X days' and 'automatically enter the transaction' with no relief from the malfunction.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Could this be due to having Reminders shown in the register based on this setting in each register?

As you can see, I don't have it set to show anything before the "optional setting in the reminder", so this is a stab in the dark.

• goodellj
    goodellj Member ✭✭
    Options

I am going to try downloading and reinstalling Quicken. I don't know why I didn't try this sooner.

—Downloading and reinstalling is pretty easy.

—So far, so good. I will wait a few days before I declare victory. I did an "Edit this instance and all future instances" to change the dates to Tuesday Oct 24, which is my next payday. I have 4 reminders that have been misbehaving by advancing on their own.

• goodellj
    goodellj Member ✭✭
    Options

So…. The reminders looked good for about 24 hours. Then 4 out of 6 advanced, on their own, to the next date, Tuesday Oct 31! And 2 of the 6 stayed with the proper date of Tuesday Oct 24. So I give up!

• goodellj
    goodellj Member ✭✭
    Options

As they said on Galaxy Quest, "Never Give Up! Never Surrender!" Two more ideas to thwart the problem:

1. I open the 'manage bill and income reminders' window but then minimize it. It closes when I change accounts to check my children's investments, but it behaves when I return and reopen the window.
    2. If the dates advance erroneously again, I will manually enter the transfer by typing the payee and grabbing the transaction from memorized transactions drop down list, and leave the reminder untouched along with it's future date. And then see if the future date functions as it should.

Stay tuned!

• goodellj
    goodellj Member ✭✭
    Options

I used Idea#1 above. I kept the window open most of the week and the 'due' dates remained correct for the next pay day, which was today, Nov 7. The dates advanced normally to the 14th, which is my next pay day. I am going to close the 'Bill and Income Reminders' box and see what happens this week. I will check it every day or so to see if it behaves.

• goodellj
    goodellj Member ✭✭
    Options

Idea#1 failed. Four of my 6 reminders advanced overnight. I guess only by having the 'Bill and Income Reminders' open all week kept the dates from advancing by themselves.

On Nov 14th I will try Idea#2.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just curious, do you leave Quicken running all the time? Do you ever restart your computer?

• goodellj
    goodellj Member ✭✭
    Options

Idea #2 failed. I left the advanced transactions with the Nov 14th date, thinking that I would use them on Nov 14th and they would advance normally when they were used. On Nov 14th when I went in the use them, the transactions I wanted had a Nov 21 date on them. I entered the transactions manually and then later deleted the transactions that were advancing by themselves.

I will enter the transactions manually this week on the 21st. I am going to wait a few weeks and then I will set them up again in "Bill and Income Reminders". I hope that by starting over I might fix the problem.

PS: I leave Quicken running most of the time. I usually only restart my computer when there is a windows update that tells me to do so.

• Randy 415
    Randy 415 Windows Beta Beta
    Options

I have a slightly similar problem. I have a reminder set to auto. It is supposed to auto add to the register every month, about 15 days before due date. I see anywhere from 2-5 reminders showing up in the banking register for months in advance. First, it will be one. Then after closing Quicken, waiting a few days, and opening, and doing OSU, suddenly there are 2. And on and on. Right now, I have 3 of them. I delete them, but they just keep coming back (with advancing dates). Not sure if its related.

• goodellj
    goodellj Member ✭✭
    Options

I waited a few weeks and then re-entered the 4 reminders that were advancing on their own. And they advanced on their own on the 3rd day. I deleted the four. I also have 3 other payday reminders that are completely normal. The four misbehaving reminders have been deleted and re-entered several times and they always advance on their own, the same ones, and the other 3 function normally.

One more idea: I re-entered the 4. On all my 7 payday reminders, I changed the "remind me X days in advance" to "1". I have always used "0". I have quite a few reminders for monthly, quarterly, and annual bills and payments and routinely use "0" for the days in advance. The payday reminders are the only weekly reminders that I have. It has been 3 days and so far, so good. I'm crossing my fingers!

• goodellj
    goodellj Member ✭✭
    Options

Well…. It appears that we can declare victory. By simply changing the "remind me X days in advance" to "1", the problem is resolved. It has been a few paydays and all is well. :-)

But, I am reminded about an expense the day before I need to be reminded. I can cope.

• goodellj
    goodellj Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, this resolved the problem. Must be a software bug. After setting the reminder to 1 day it works every week the way it is supposed to. 1/15/2024.

This discussion has been closed.