Security Prices - Issue with yesterday's closing prices changing to today's price for all holdings

Options
Ed V
Ed V Member ✭✭
edited February 10 in Investing (Windows)

Randomly a week or so ago I was having an issue with Sunday's closing prices (shouldn't have a Sunday price) changing to Monday's closing price. Then the last several days it is occurring every day. When I edit the price history the entire record (including volume) is changing to today's price and volume. I manually enter the correct price for yesterday and I seems to "stick" when I do it manually.

Not sure what's happening or if anyone else is seeing this. Any thoughts?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files, a sanitized data file, and screenshots (if possible) attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams further investigate the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hello All,

This issue has been submitted to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. While Quicken's product development teams do not provide an estimated timeframe of when a fix will be completed, it will be made available as part of a future release.

Thank you!
    (CTP-8078)

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @Ed V,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I apologize that you are experiencing this issue.

Before I can further assist you, I require some more information. Are you receiving any error codes or messages? Did this issue begin to occur after an update? Are these security prices downloaded through a specific financial institution?

I look forward to your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

• Ed V
    Ed V Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Jasmine,

In response to your request:

1. No error codes or messages.
    2. I am on the current release 27.1.52.20; I'm not sure if the problem is related to an update.
    3. The prices don't appear to be related to a specific financial institution. My holdings are with E*Trade, however, I have several watch list securities that have the same problem that I have never owned.

I ran a validation with no errors.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Do you have real time quotes enabled? If so, try disabling that and see if that resolves the issue.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ed V
    Ed V Member ✭✭
    Options

No, real time quotes are disabled.

• Kayak7
    Kayak7 Member
    Options

Updated quotes for various etfs list the same price 2 days in a row, the 18th and 19th. Voo VTI and BSV for example. To fix it I tried to update historical prices, still did not change. What am i doing wrong?

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @Kayak7,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue.

Before I can further assist you, I require some more information. Did this issue begin to occur after a recent update? Are you receiving any error codes or messages?

I look forward to your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

• Joseph Kopchick
    Options

Portfolio reports have not been calculating ETF Day Gain/Loss and Price Day Change for the last several updates.

• Ed V
    Ed V Member ✭✭
    Options

This issue is still occurring, I disabled real time quotes and automatic quote updates. Now it is only adding Monday quotes to Sunday so Monday data is incorrectly shown on Sunday. It is only happening on non-fixed income holdings.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am seeing some odd entries for ETFs but not for mutual funds after updating quotes but before any One Step Update (OSU). For example here is what I see for VTI

• The High, Low, and volume for 10/2 are incorrect
    • There is a bogus entry for Sunday 9/17 that duplicates the 9/18 price. Often these entries that ere missing the High and Low come from brokers, not from Quicken's quote provider.

After OSU but before accepting transactions

• A bogus entry for Sunday 10/1 has been added, probably by Vanguard.

My prices did not change after I accepted the downloaded transactions.

Please click on the name of a security where you have not adjusted the prices manually, to display the Security Detail view. Then click on More and Edit price history. Do you see similar issues? What type of security was it and where do you hold it?

Note that the easiest way to correct these bogus weekend entries is to delete them from your price history.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Ed V
    Ed V Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Jim, I'm seeing exactly what you posted. I only have ETF's and fixed income securities; it's only occurring on the ETF's for me. I've been manually editing the price history and deleting the Sunday transactions, it's just a pain to have to watch out for bad prices.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

@Ed V

Forum Moderators sometimes review issues discussed here and refer them to Development, but if you want Quicken to work on a problem, I recommend you contact Support via phone.  Be sure the support agent understands the problem and gives you a ticket number for future reference.

You should also use the Help > Report a Problem menu in Quicken to submit the issue online. In your submission, be as clear and thorough as possible. Reference the ticket number and provide a link to this discussion. Provide step by step instructions to reproduce the problem. You will not get a response to an electronic submission, but they say they review and prioritize the submissions. 

The more people who report a problem the more likely they are to pay attention to it.

Updates on problems that Quicken has acknowledged are posted here
    https://community.quicken.com/categories/alerts

• KCHawk
    KCHawk Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

I have 4 ETFs and every Monday, Quicken inserts a price for Sunday = to the very next Monday. Quicken support thought this was caused by Schwab but Schwab claims they are not responsible. 9/10 is a Sunday, here is an example for one ETF. This situation started in September and continues. This issue does not present itself with any mutual funds or stocks, just four etfs.

Earlier the Quicken rep suggested I restore an old backup file and see if the current file is corrupted. Makes me nervous as I am not confident I can get back to where I am. Any solutions will be appreciated.

[Merged Post]

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

What ETFs? Maybe someone with some or all of them can tell if they have the same issue. I have several ETFs but no Schwab ETFs and none of my ETFs seem to have this issue. I assume these are Schwab ETFs?

[Merged Post]

• Jim_Harman
    edited October 2023
    Options

Others have seen this issue. Please see this discussion

[Merged Post]

• KCHawk
    KCHawk Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

I have SCHD, VIG, SLV, GLD. They all live in a Schwab account.

[Merged Post]

• KCHawk
    KCHawk Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Jim_Harman, Tonight (Thursday) prices seemed OK except the price for SPY 424.50 was backed over the correct price on Wednesday. This is in a Schwab account carried in a Quicken Deluxe file that is ancient.

I also have a test Quicken file that I put the same etfs into but NO connection to a Schwab account. Same behavior pricing SPY tonight.

I would like to know the actual source of prices.

[Merged Post]

• Jim_Harman
    edited October 2023
    Options

The quotes that are downloaded when you click on Update in an Investing > Portfolio view and elsewhere come from Quicken's 3rd party quote provider. When you download transactions from a FI, the quotes for securities you hold there are usually updated as well, using data from the FI. If an additional quote for a particular day is received, there is a hierarchy for which one "wins" as defined in the last section here

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-update-security-prices

There is no way to tell for sure by looking at the price history where a particular price came from, but generally if High, Low, and Volume are present and reasonable, the quote came from the quote provider.

[Merged Post]

• KCHawk
    KCHawk Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

When downloading transactions from an FI using OSU are prices updated even if the box is not checked?

[Merged Post]

• Jim_Harman
    edited October 2023
    Options

During an OSU, prices [edit] usually come from your FIs for the securities you hold there even if the Download Quotes box is un-checked.

[Merged Post]

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

So, in response to this discussion, I have now poked at the details for some of my ETF with varied results. I do not categorically follow a pattern of days I update quotes or download from FIs. These ETFs are variously owned in a Direct Connect account, an account for which I download and import a QFX file, and an account I maintain manually.

For several ETFs (VSS, VOO, EEM, MUB, IWS specifically), I am seeing the prices from 9/18 and 9/5 duplicated on 9/17 (Sunday) and 9/4 (Labor Day). Oddly, the 9/4 duplication is Closing and Volume, High and Low show 0.0. For 9/17, all four values are duplicated.

For three of those (EEM, MUB, IWS) I see a duplication of 10/5 data onto the 10/4 (Wednesday) date. That duplication included the close and volume values, high and lo are 0.0). My most recent Download Quotes was at 10 PM CT 10/5 where the report is that 141 of 142 quotes were updated. I might have had earlier updates on 10/5 as well.

A subsequent Download Quotes on 10/6 at 2 PM CT corrected the 10/4 data.

Based on what I am seeing, I I believe the faulty quotes are coming from Quicken's third party data supplier. The faulty data where "today's" quotes get applied to "yesterday" will get corrected if "yesterday" was a trading date, but not if it was a non-trading date (weekend or holiday). That correction might also come about if the subsequent Download Quotes is close enough in time (1-day later, 1-week later, xx days later. I don't know that timing limitation.) I have not researched in depth enough to know if only ETFs are impacted this way.

One other note: The prices downloaded from a financial institution are for one specified day only. In some cases, that could be yesterday (close of the prior trading day) , if they are not providing intra-day valuations.

[Merged Post]

• Jim_Harman
    edited October 2023
    Options

Thank you for the thorough research on this issue, @q_lurker Your results are consistent with what I saw in the discussion referenced above.

For anyone who is seeing this problem, forum Moderators sometimes review issues discussed here and refer them to Development, but if you want Quicken to work on a problem, I recommend you contact Support via phone.  Be sure the support agent understands the problem and gives you a ticket number for future reference.

You should also use the Help > Report a Problem menu in Quicken to submit the issue online. In your submission, be as clear and thorough as possible. Reference the ticket number and provide a link to this discussion. Provide step by step instructions to reproduce the problem. You will not get a response to an electronic submission, but they say they review and prioritize the submissions. 

The more support calls and online submissions they get the higher priority a problem receives.

[Merged Post]

• MB
    MB Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

I have been having the same issues for many days with ALL my ETF holdings. See the attached as an example.

Notice 9/24-9/25, 10/1-10/2, 10/9-10/10. Notice the High and Low on one of the days is $0. Notice the volume on two pair of dates is the same.

I am using Windows 11 version RS5.28. Build 27.1.52.28

Here is another, different ETF sponsor. Same story, same dates.

• shriner73
    shriner73 Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm on Quicken Classic Premier - R52.28, build 27.1.52.28

I recently noticed that data presented in the Price History window is erroneous. The data shows price updates for Sunday along with incorrect Volume, High and Low figures…and subsequent dates are one day off. This results in incorrect reporting of Day Gain/Loss figures.

The issue occurs across various brokerage houses, and seems to affect only ETFs, but not all ETFs.

Shown is an example of the issue.

• mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Whew! Glad I found this thread. I've been experiencing this problem for the past 2 weeks and its been making me nuts. Thought my datafile was fried. I think @q_lurker's explanation, above, nailed it.

A couple of other observations:

• I own well over 100 securities, MF and ETFs. This ONLY happens with ETFs, but not all of them. Not 100% sure, but it seems that its only certain providers that are affected - Vanguard, iShares for sure, perhaps others.
    • I don't think its brokerage related. I see it with both Fidelity and ML.
    • Restoring to the Friday before and downloading on Tues fixes the problem - until the next time.

Hope they fix this soon.

• mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ominous turn of events. I downloaded quotes at 7:30pm and all was good except for a few which usually come in a little later in the evening. I just ran an update now (9:30) and yesterday's ETF quotes were overwritten with today's prices. So, it's not just the weekend. Something's royally messed up.

• MB
    MB Member ✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Jasmine Can you please report this to the Development team on all the poster's behalf to get this fixed? It happened to a bunch of my ETF's again today.

The correct information is

There is clearly an issue here.

• KCHawk
    KCHawk Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

@Quicken Jasmine  I reported a problem to support and refenced this thread.

• DCU4Life
    DCU4Life Member ✭✭
    Options

Same issue. Thankfully I only have a few ETFs, but having to manually update anything is a pain. I already have to manually update the price of gold, and sometimes crypto currency prices (they are hit and miss). Now ETF prices aren't working. It diminishes the value of the product, for sure.

• KCHawk
    KCHawk Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

On the day October 11, my VIG priced correctly so there must be a difference depending on time of getting data. But it shows incorrect data for VIG on other days. What a mess.

• fv_qc
    fv_qc Member ✭✭
    Options

Still happening.

I have 28 Vanguard ETFs showing gain/loss on Sunday October 16 (and not Monday), and 16 other Vanguard funds (both ETFs and MFs) showing gain/loss on Monday October 17 (and not Sunday). Glad this is a known issue.

This discussion has been closed.