Quicken 2001 on Windows 11

Options
KenGlos
KenGlos Member ✭✭

I've been bumbling along installing my Q2001 on successive PCs (now on Windows 11) and it keeps on working. However I live in fear that it will fail me at some time, which would leave my financial life in a mess. Is there any way of getting a more future-proofed version that will read my current data across? I read here about Q2004 and Q2013, mixed in with successive obsolete versions of Windows and it makes me very reluctant to attempt any such route

Best Answer

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You should at least try to convert to the 2013 version since you don’t use any online services or download transactions now. Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. I’m staying on 2013. Then it should be more stable and run on newer computer systems.

You can download 2013 Deluxe directly from Quicken for free using this how to convert article. It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009. Click on the blue words Quicken 2013 for Windows in step 3

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

FYI - All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like - .IDX, .QEL, .QPH & .QDF, and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF in starting in 2010.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

Answers

• volvogirl
    Answer ✓
    Options

You should at least try to convert to the 2013 version since you don’t use any online services or download transactions now. Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. I’m staying on 2013. Then it should be more stable and run on newer computer systems.

You can download 2013 Deluxe directly from Quicken for free using this how to convert article. It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009. Click on the blue words Quicken 2013 for Windows in step 3

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

FYI - All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like - .IDX, .QEL, .QPH & .QDF, and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF in starting in 2010.

• KenGlos
    KenGlos Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks, that's very helpful. I'll give it a go tomorrow

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you have a second computer or can run a VM (virtual machine) on your only one, you can play with upgrading to your heart's content without making any changes to your current setup.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• KenGlos
    KenGlos Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Splasher. Wife's laptop is in the firing line!

• KenGlos
    KenGlos Member ✭✭
    Options

No go I'm sorry to say. I'm on Windows 11 and I'm in the UK so not using $, both of which seem to be issues. Tried every combination I can think of, they all fail. Looks like I shall have to scratch around for another option.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What does "no go" mean? Did you install Quicken 2004 and open your Quicken data file with it?

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • KenGlos
    KenGlos Member ✭✭
    Options

Installed 2004 and tried to load a copy of my data from the backup files. Cannot remember why it had a fatal error, but it did. I saw warnings that the software had not been tested on Windows 10 or 11 (I'm on 11) but I can't now do anything about that so maybe that's the problem. In desperation tried installing 2013, that also failed. Then I uninstalled every version of Quicken, now the laptop won't install any version of Q

• Greg_the_Geek
    Options

I just installed Quicken 2004 on Windows 11 22H2 and it runs with no problems. I don't have any old data files to try opening.

• KenGlos
    KenGlos Member ✭✭
    Options

OK, I'll try again. This time I'll note every step as I go. Q2004 first, with a copy of my data ready under C:\QUICKENW as on my current PC

• Greg_the_Geek
    Options

You should also download/install the R5 patch. It takes a while to install.

https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-2004-patches.html

• KenGlos
    KenGlos Member ✭✭
    Options

Downloaded Q2004 and got to Select your data file. Chose Open a file located on this computer. Selected D:\Quickenw\QDATA1.QDF which is my current data on a stick. That's where I got "European files are not supported in the US version of Quicken. Please keep using your old foreign version for tax support. You can use GIF to transfer watch lists" Only choice was "OK". First time round it loaded 69090 items, validated them all then told me " unable to open selected file". Repeated the whole process, got " unable to open selected file" as soon as I chose the file. So I appear to have installed Q2004 but I can't install data.

• KenGlos
    KenGlos Member ✭✭
    Options

I see I have to download patches 3 & 4 before I do 5. I wonder if it's worth forgetting the data load until these are all in

• KenGlos
    KenGlos Member ✭✭
    Options

I can enter data from scratch, but it would be a horrendous task even if I only put in current balances.

• volvogirl
    Options

You are in the UK? Are you running the US version or the UK version? There are posts around here about getting or not getting the UK version updated and into the US version. I don't have the links handy. Need to bookmark some.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Options

You didn't post that you were using a non-US version of Quicken. You can try converting your data file to MS Money and then back to Quicken 2013. I read other posters using this method to convert non-US data files to a US version.

https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/ms-money-sunset-editions.html

• KenGlos
    KenGlos Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, apparently I'm using a non-US version. Never knew it mattered until today.

Not happy using unauthorised versions of MS Money. Parallel thinking coming up. Thanks everyone

• Greg_the_Geek
    Options

MS Money is no longer supported so it's not really an unauthorized versions. If you want to make your data file available, I can try converting it for you.

• KenGlos
    KenGlos Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the offer, but some things are best kept in house. I'll probably move to some other control method and have a Year Zero if I can't find my way through the morass

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

One of the superusers lived in UK and successfully did the conversion using the old MS Money to read the UK version data file and then did the Money to Quicken conversion.

There is nothing underhanded or nefarious about using this process, MS put the software out there for people to use when they stopped supporting/updating it. It sure beats starting over.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The MS Money Plus Sunset is not an unauthorized software. MS made the software freeware when they discontinued support for it. Anyone who downloads it and wants to use it is licensed to use it for free.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• KenGlos
    KenGlos Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm stuck. Q2004 updated to Patch 5, all good. But it still refused to load my data so I bit the bullet and installed MS Money. Restored my data files to Money so now I have a working copy of Money with my data which all seems to have come across intact. However it seems that Exporting from Money can only be done one account at a time, and then I would end up with one file per account which would presumably not be compatible with Quicken. Also tried to restore my backed up Money file to Q2004, but Q2004 will only restore Quicken files. So I can't think of a way to convert my Money data back to Quicken, which should I assume precede downloading Q2013.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Options

You need Quicken 2013 to import a MS Money data file.

• KenGlos
    KenGlos Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for that definite statement! Will do that tomorrow (it's wine o'clock here in the UK, will dedicate the first sip to you)

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Actually, QWin 2010 is able to import and convert MS Money, as well (that is when I migrated from MS Money to QWin). But since QWin 2013 Deluxe can be downloaded for free that would be the better option.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• KenGlos
    KenGlos Member ✭✭
    Options

So I have installed Q2013, updated my 'Language for non-unicode Programs' to English US, restarted and imported the MS Money file seemingly successfully. Except the program isn't displaying any data, e.g nothing listed under Accounts. Ideas welcomed!

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Where is UK Dan G when we need him. He went thru this himself successfully.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Dan Glynhampton was last active Sept 2020. I have not reviewed his posts to see if there is something helpful.

• KenGlos
    KenGlos Member ✭✭
    Options

Solved! Need to import the Q file (which I don't remember creating) rather than the MS one. I'll document this saga as I repeat the process on my target computer. That's shorthand, will document properly as I repeat on my target PC

This discussion has been closed.