does Q show/count how many holdings i have?

Options
bkbaird
bkbaird Member ✭✭
edited November 2023 in Investing (Windows)

win R52.28

My portfolio is managed by Fisher, who, btw, are doing a great job, so, I have a LOT of holdings. Is there somewhere Q shows how many (unique) holdings I have without having to count them manually in the "holdings" screen?

Best Answer

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you're asking how many unique securities you currently own across all Investment Accounts then offhand I can't think of a way Quicken could tell you that, but I could be wrong.

One way though of getting that number without manual counting would be to open the Portfolio View of all you Investment Accounts, Grouped by Security. Then, click {Ctrl}-p and select Export to "Tab-delimited (Excel compatible) disk file." Click "Export", give the file a name, and save it. Open the file in Excel and the Portfolio View will be imported. Use the row numbers for some simple math to come the number of securities.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you're asking how many unique securities you currently own across all Investment Accounts then offhand I can't think of a way Quicken could tell you that, but I could be wrong.

One way though of getting that number without manual counting would be to open the Portfolio View of all you Investment Accounts, Grouped by Security. Then, click {Ctrl}-p and select Export to "Tab-delimited (Excel compatible) disk file." Click "Export", give the file a name, and save it. Open the file in Excel and the Portfolio View will be imported. Use the row numbers for some simple math to come the number of securities.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

why would that even be important or interesting - other than to see how many securities your “Fisher” has churned up -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• bkbaird
    bkbaird Member ✭✭
    Options

"to see" was the question, both important and interesting.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Counting the total within Quicken need not be so daunting. The portfolio view customized as @Tom Young suggested will show all your current holding. You can count the number on that screen which will depend on you screen size and many other aspects. Say it is 19 securities. Page down and you will get 18 more. The top listed security was the bottom on the prior page display thus it is the 19 less 1. Another page down display adds on other 18. As you get to the near the end, you will need to scroll down individually. So it becomes 18 x number of full pages + 1 + a few more.

If the export to Excel is easier, have at it.

I do not know of another way within Quicken.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Now it is even easier to export a Portfolio view to Excel:

• Set up the view the way you want it
    • Click on Export near the top right and select Copy to Clipboard
    • Start Excel and select the top left cell were you want the data to go
    • Edit/Paste or Ctrl-V to paste the data

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.