How do I set the Invoice Number that Quicken will increment?

Options

I have always entered "N" in the invoice number field to get the next incremental invoice number. I use pre-printed invoices that already have numbers and this time the new pad of invoices has a number lower than the last one. My new invoices start at 097451. Quicken always brings up 861451 even though I have entered my new numbers starting with 097451. Where can I re-set this so it will be the number I want?

Best Answers

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Try entering the new invoice number without the leading zero (97451).

In my tests, Quicken accepts an invoice number with a leading zero (and displays that invoice number in the register transaction with the leading zero), but Quicken does not "reset" the invoice number seed when the invoice number has a leading zero preceding numeric characters.

I believe that is because: While Quicken allows both numeric and non-numeric invoice numbers, non-numeric invoice numbers do not (cannot) reset the invoice number seed. By convention we do not precede numeric values with leading zeros; so when Quicken sees "097451", it assumes that is non-numeric.

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• graeagle55
    graeagle55 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

That worked!

Thanks so much for your help!

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @graeagle55,

To troubleshoot this issue, could you please provide more details? When did you first notice this issue? What process do you normally use when creating an invoice in Quicken?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Try entering the new invoice number without the leading zero (97451).

In my tests, Quicken accepts an invoice number with a leading zero (and displays that invoice number in the register transaction with the leading zero), but Quicken does not "reset" the invoice number seed when the invoice number has a leading zero preceding numeric characters.

I believe that is because: While Quicken allows both numeric and non-numeric invoice numbers, non-numeric invoice numbers do not (cannot) reset the invoice number seed. By convention we do not precede numeric values with leading zeros; so when Quicken sees "097451", it assumes that is non-numeric.

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• graeagle55
    graeagle55 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

That worked!

Thanks so much for your help!

This discussion has been closed.