Is there a way to restart Windows quicken?

Options
Joe21
Joe21 Member ✭✭

I have completely lost my quicken data files. Is there a way to start quicken without getting all the data from the bank? I would like to start quicken October 1, 2023. every time I try this I end up with months worth of data from the bank.

Thanks in advance,

Joe Makarczyk

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What do you mean by "I have completely lost my quicken data files"? Did your hard drive fail? Or is it that you simply cannot find them on your hard drive?

If it is that you simply cannot find them on your hard drive: Go to File > Find Quicken Files. Quicken will do a fairly quick search of your hard drive and identify where they are located. Then you can open them with Quicken and you will not need to start a new data file from scratch.

If your hard drive failed, did you save any data file backups anywhere else that you can restore?

But if you really do need or want to start over with a start date of 10/1/2023: Each financial institution determines how much data is to be downloaded when initiating the downloads from within Quicken. There is nothing we can do to change that. However, there is something you can do to get the register to show only transactions starting with 10/1/2023. Following are the steps to do that.

1. Set up your accounts for download in Quicken.
    2. Back up your data file.
    3. Make note of the ending balance of each account as of 9/30/2023.
    4. Delete all transactions in the register of one account after the Opening Balance transaction through 9/30/2023. You can do a mass deletion by clicking on the first transaction after the Opening Balance transaction and while holding down the Shift key click on the last transaction dated 9/30/2023. This will shade all of those transactions. Right click on any of the shaded transactions and click on Delete.
    5. In the Opening Balance transaction, change the date to 9/30/2023 and enter the 9/30/2023 ending balance that you made note of in step #3. Save the transaction after making these changes.
    6. Back-up your data file.
    7. Repeat steps #4-#6 individually for each additional account you have set up for downloads.

When a financial institution downloads transactions into Quicken, those transactions are "remembered" by Quicken so future downloads will not repopulate the transactions that had been deleted.

I hope this helped you.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you want to start over and still do downloads, do the initial download, then delete the transactions you don't want ( anything before 10/1/23, keep the Opening Balance ) and adjust the Opening Balance transaction at the top of the register to make the current balance at the bottom agree with the financial institution's balance.

To delete lots of transactions as a group, select a range of transactions using the normal Windows range process of clicking on the first and shift clicking on the last to select the range, then right click on the selection and select "delete transactions".

I'd make backups in between working on accounts so that if you mess up, you don't have too much to redo.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Joe21
    Joe21 Member ✭✭
    Options

I tried all that. Now I'm completely lost. I think that I got a redesigned Quicken. It is completely different.

I tried to use level of Quicken but I can't figure it out. I'll go and use the video instructions.

Any ideas?????

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

@Joe21 -

I think that I got a redesigned Quicken. It is completely different.

Quicken recently did a rebrand but that mostly affected just the Quicken logo. There has been no other "redesign" causing a significant change to how Quicken looks. Would you be able to take a snapshot of what you are seeing, save the file and then click an drag it to your response post? A picture can be worth a thousand words.

I tried to use level of Quicken but I can't figure it out.

I don't understand what you mean by "use level of Quicken." Please clarify.

• Joe21
    Joe21 Member ✭✭
    Options

Here are two screen shots: one shows the main view and the other show the dashboard when I click on dashboard.

Makes no sense to me.

Thanks for helping.

Joe Makarczyk (phone # removed)

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You better edit your post and remove your phone #!!! This is a public user forum and the whole world can see what you post. Someone may call you and say they are from Quicken and scam you.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Joe21
    Joe21 Member ✭✭
    Options

how can i edit the post?

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

For whatever reason your Quicken session is not loading your default data file. Hence the strange appearance. Go to File[menu] and select your data file from the list on the bottom of the menu screen.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

If your data file is not shown at the bottom of the File menu, you can click on File > Find Quicken Files. Quicken will then search your hard drive to locate all Quicken data files (including backup files). You can then select and open the appropriate data file to be opened in Quicken.

• Joe21
    Joe21 Member ✭✭
    Options

How can I reload quicken. I fed up with it.

Thanks,

Joe

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Well - you have been pointed at several things - and you have indicated "have tried all that" -
    Not really sure what you have actually tried….

Quicken stores the location of the last used Quicken QDF data file - and lists the last 4 at the bottom of the "File" menu -
    1 - what do you see at the bottom of that "File" menu… any files listed - where are they located ?

2 - if that doesn't work for you -
    then as suggested, let Quicken search your hard drive looking for ANY Quicken QDF data files -
    …. File —> Find Quicken Files

Next ?

and to clarify - all your data is stored in an external QDF data file - NOT inside the Quicken program.
    SO - just like with MS Word and external DOC files - Quicken uses external QDF files to store all your working data….

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Joe21
    Joe21 Member ✭✭
    Options

There are 4 QDF files in the file menu. The top file (1) is selected.

using QUICKEN DELUXE

Version 52.33

Build 27.1.52.33

I don't know what to do. I probably have tried multiple things that have worked in the past.

Like opening a new QDF file. Probably something simple on my part without any results.

I've been using quicken for years. Just can't get it to work right now. I'll take any suggestions.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There are 4 QDF files in the file menu. The top file (1) is selected.

What is the full URL of that top listed QDF file ?

So - if you scroll down and click on that top listed QDF file - what happens ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Joe21
    Joe21 Member ✭✭
    Options

the URL is:

C:\Users\Newuser\Documents\Quicken\TestQuicken

What happens nothing.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you tried the other 3 files in the File menu?

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Joe21
    Joe21 Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes Same result

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

As @Boatnmaniac posted, "If your data file is not shown at the bottom of the File menu, you can click on File > Find Quicken Files. Quicken will then search your hard drive to locate all Quicken data files (including backup files). You can then select and open the appropriate data file to be opened in Quicken." Have you tried this?

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.