memorized payee changes after one step update

Options
Daren
Daren Member ✭✭

For awhile now certain memorized payees have been losing their "category" which was another account. For example, credit card payments from the checking register are supposed to be saved as a transfer with the credit card account as the category. They had been okay for years.

I was baffled until I noticed it happened after a One Step Update. So after fixing the affected memorized payees I ran One Step Update again - and it happened again (immediately). It happened with them both locked and not locked.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on and how to fix it? It was very convenient to simply type the credit card bank name and amount and have the transfer account already in place.

Comments

• Daren
    Daren Member ✭✭
    Options

Short update. The payees are not changed when I close Quicken - I checked that before and again just now. They only change when One Step Update is run.

They continue to change even if I delete them and memorize them again. Also it does not matter if an amount is memorized.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Do you have the Memorized Payees locked? (Tools→Memorized Payee)

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you automatically accepting downloaded transactions into your registers?

If you have issues with transfer transactions not being generated correctly based solely on downloaded information:
    For best results manually enter transfer transactions into your register BEFORE you download transactions from the bank which contain the transfer confirmations. For recurring transfers use scheduled reminders and enter them a day or two before the due date.
    Be sure to use distinct Payee Names for each transfer / credit card payment to avoid confusing Quicken - memorized payee entries.
    That takes the guesswork out of the download process. Because a correctly recorded transfer transaction already exists in your account registers, the download process should just match the downloaded transfer transaction to the existing one in both accounts.

• Daren
    Daren Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options
    1. As I noted above, the problem occurs whether the memorized payee is locked or not.
    2. It isn't the transactions that are being affected, it's in the memorized payee list. I don't accept transactions automatically anyway - I prefer to enter them myself (except for stock dividends) and only accept ones that I miss. In any case, in my trials the issue occurred multiple times in a row - when there no longer were any transactions to download. It was simply the act of running One Step Update …

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you syncing to Mobile & Web?

• Daren
    Daren Member ✭✭
    Options

I don't understand the question. I'm connecting to the internet with my home wifi as I have done for years.

• Daren
    Daren Member ✭✭
    Options

Ok - I see what Mobile & Web is. No, I'm not syncing to it or even using it. Everything is on my hard drive at home.

• Daren
    Daren Member ✭✭
    Options

Does anyone else have thoughts or suggestions? This is really confounding me …

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you automatically memorizing new payees? Maybe the FI is changing the payee field.

• Daren
    Daren Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

No, I've always left that turned off.

Again - the change (dropped transfer account) occurs when, and only when, One Step Update is run, regardless of whether new transactions are downloaded. And that does not automatically enter the transactions anyway.

• Daren
    Daren Member ✭✭
    Options

I'll also mention that it isn't only accounts for banks that get dropped from the memorized payee. Some are just cash accounts I created in Quicken for my own accounting purposes.

• Tom Claffy
    Tom Claffy Member ✭✭
    Options

This is catastrophic for me. I have multiple properties where utility bill payees have the unit address. Now it has some random number that is meaningless. Quicken's programming and quality control has gone to hell. What kind of people are in charge of this now? I'm not even sure how to being to fix this mess.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you told Quicken to memorize new payees? Do you have your existing Memorized Payees locked?

Why is Quicken to blame for what is downloaded from the financial institution? The FI supplies the payee with the random number that is meaningless.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Let me get this straight.

You are entering transactions manually using memorized payees.

You aren't using automatic transactions entry mode, so the downloaded transactions are going through the Downloaded Transactions tab.

You aren't using Sync to Mobile/Web.

You aren't accepting transactions in from the Downloaded Transactions tab, you are deleting them.

The memorized payees are changing when you run One Step Update (even though the memorized payee is locked).

It isn't affecting the transactions in the register; it is only affecting the memorized payees.

Does this properly summarize what you are doing?

If so, about all I can guess would be some kind of corruption in your data file.

And if that is the case about the only thing anyone can suggest is the standard:

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Daren
    Daren Member ✭✭
    Options

Your summary is basically correct, except I do accept matching transactions from the downloaded tab. The ones that are associated with the affected memorized payees are either credit card payments or transfers between accounts.

The weird thing is that the problem does not always happen, or not to all such memorized payees. Today, for example, it happened to just one - and that was one of several that didn't have a recent transaction.

I will try your suggestion but I am dubious that this is in any way a data file problem. I'll let you know what happens …

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have one more suggestion since I have recently caught Quicken syncing accounts when it shouldn't have.

Turn on Sync to Mobile/Web temporarily to make sure it isn't got any account set up to sync.

Edit → Preferences → Mobile & Web

Signature:
  • mnml0
    mnml0 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Good catch. 8/41 of my accoungs were set to sync, unbeknownst to me — and I certainly didn't enable that.

QW27.1.50.16 Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.2965

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah, the reason I knew to suggest it is because the same thing happened to me. The closest I could come to figuring out why is I think something got triggered when whenever I setup some accounts for downloading, or maybe when I deleted the Quicken Cloud dataset trying to fix a connection problem.

Signature:
  • Daren
    Daren Member ✭✭
    Options

I had 2 as well - they were the most recent ones to have online services setup.

So far no issues with my problem, after validation. But, as I mentioned, it seems to happen at random.

This discussion has been closed.