Quicken doesn't recognize my Data File Password

Options

Comments

• colo
    colo Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

When I click on the desk top to open quicken. I get a error message saying quicken can't open data file. I have windows. The problem started have the last update I have quicken deluxe

version R52.33

build 27.1.52.33

• JPSZ
    JPSZ Member
    Options

me too. It does the same thing in multiple computers after the update. It doesn't recognize the password, but if I press enter again it lets me in.

• cewhitejr
    cewhitejr Member ✭✭
    Options

Same version and build, same problem. I can open the file through the File menu, I have to provide my Quicken password and then the file opens without issue. This is preventing my automatic updates from running.

• Carol 6753
    Carol 6753 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

I have had them same problem. Trying to sign in with my data password and getting error message. close up and reopen and everthing is fine. But it is annoying to have to have to try to sign in twice. This has been goingnon for several days.

[Merged Post]

• sgh112
    sgh112 Member ✭✭
    Options

Second time writing in about this issue. My data file is also in a OneDrive directory.

First time it occurred (10/21 - see above), I restored my pre-update backup and that solved the issue (temporarily). After I closed Quicken the problem recurred and so I followed the instructions and validated the file. All good until I restarted my computer and now we're back where we started, unable to access my Quicken data, and it won't let me validate since it does not recognize my password.

HELP!

• RJE9
    RJE9 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

I am using Quicken Classic for Windows. I keep getting an error message when loading Quicken that it is unable to open my data file. However, if I just reopen the program (or select File and the data file), it opens fine. Are there any suggestions for what I can do to stop getting this error message? Thank you.

• pmeyers
    pmeyers Member ✭✭
    Options

Same problem. Seemed to start after the last update

• Kirk Im
    Kirk Im Member
    Options

Same problem here. When I try to open quicken and put in my data password to load my data file, I get an error message — "password does not match". The program closes after another popup, or something. Then, I restart the program, enter my data file password and the program starts up normally with my data file loaded. Very weird. This just started a few days ago, maybe October 22nd. I tried removing my data file password to see if the problem would go away. It did go away temporarily, but the problem returned later the same day. So, I added another password to my data file. Sure hope you guys get this problem solved quickly!

thank you

• jcjrb
    jcjrb Member ✭✭
    Options

Reporting the same issue, R52.33

I put in my password, says it is not correct (even though I've checked, and it is correct)

I close the program and restart, I put in the exact same password a second time, and it works (so far).

Definitely a bug.

Please address, Thanks.

• mlwallydc
    mlwallydc Member
    Options

Unable to open data file. Please help.

• charlesgarst4493
    Options

Hi, I've been having the same problem recently. It happens after recently starting my laptop. I suspect this is due to Microsoft 385 cloud not having the files ready for Quicken to open. After some time, (10 minutes or so), the file opens. My internet connection looks to be fine. I'm not sure how to fix this.

• mitch cohen
    mitch cohen Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    Options

Same issue here with my password-protected Quicken files. Also, these comments about Quicken not supporting OneDrive do not make sense. I have my Quicken folder synced to OneDrive and simply have "Always keep on this device" set for the folder. This setting ensures that the file is synced to OneDrive ("cloud") and leaves all the files locally (and unaltered). Files synced to OneDrive are not altered AT ALL by OneDrive.

• Instantdad
    Options

Howdy - Same issue with me as well. My file is on OneDrive but this can happen hours after booting. Sometimes, I can try two or three times and it will finally open, or I can manually select the file and it will open first try.

• RJE9
    RJE9 Member
    Options

My file is on OneDrive, as well. And it happens many hours after booting, also. So far, though, I've been able to access the file every time on a second "re-load" of Quicken or just manually selecting the file.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

[edit] I have updated the topic title to indicate this discussion is related to ONEDRIVE -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Kathy4300
    Kathy4300 Member
    Options

I've moved my file away from OneDrive to my hard drive as was suggested and it will still not open.

• RJE9
    RJE9 Member
    Options

I should add that I've had my data file on OneDrive for at least a couple years with no problem at all. The problem has only started recently, within the past month. So, while the problem may be related to OneDrive, it is not because of OneDrive.

• shartel
    shartel Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Same here. My data file has been on OneDrive for a long time, but only recently has Quicken not been able to open the file. I have scheduled updates every morning at 6am. When I come into my office at 8, there is an error message window saying Quicken could not open my file.

• mmogan1
    mmogan1 Member
    Options

Same problem here, starting about two weeks ago. My data file password, which has never changed, is rejected several (3-4) times when I attempt to log in. After several unsuccessful attempts, the same password is accepted and everything works fine. For the time being, however, I've removed the password altogether, but I hope that Quicken can address this problem that's affecting many users.

• dnly155
    dnly155 Member
    Options

I have the exact same issue with my file. Manually opening the file works fine; it's only during the initial opening attempt where I receive the error message. The issue has been happening for the last couple of weeks. I'm on version R52.33.

• Jdwags
    Jdwags Member
    Options

I have the same issue. My file is on my c drive, but it still can't find it, i go to open, and it will load, until i log out. Then it starts all over again.

Started with the new update. Also still hoping for 1step downloads from BECU again soon..?

• Herschel
    Herschel Member
    Options

I have the same problem. I now have my two most recent data files corrupted and am dead in the water. When will this get fixed. I've been using Quicken for well over 20 years. I'm very disappointed.

• MICKEYBNY
    MICKEYBNY Member ✭✭
    Options

I removed my password from the data file which is not preferred, but less problematic to get into the file. Hopefully Quicken will get this bug fixed soon. Let me know when it is fixed. Thanks.

• cpollack
    cpollack Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

I'm having the same problem. I found another thread which deals with this same (or very similar) issue….

• IAM
    IAM Member
    Options

Hello, I also have the same problem for the last few days - windows classic on windows 11. File exists on one drive which is linked to my computer documents. It opens the file if I keep trying multiple times, but for the first one or two attempts it says unable to open file and contact customer support which is not available. I hope someone on Quicken side sees so many having the same issue.

• K109
    K109 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

FWIW, I was having the same issue. Opened One Drive and it wanted me to address its new feature of a "personal vault". Once I had dealt with that, I opened Quicken and did not have the issue. I rebooted my computer and reopened Quicken and it worked without issue. YMMV and I don't know how long this will work for me, but just some additional info from my personal experience.

• Danno6406
    Danno6406 Member
    Options

I have Version R52.33and I have tried all of these as well. Having all the same problems. Even turned off the password function, so now I need to open the program twice to get it too work.

• rkrachey@comcast.net
    Options

I am having the same issue and am unable to open Quicken. File is resident on my hard drive. Please advise solution.

• AnnieOne
    AnnieOne Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken still refuses to open my financial file on the first try. However, if I then open my test file, close out of it and try again to open my financial file, the password is again rejected, but after clicking the OK button again, without changing anything else, my financial file opens. It's now 10-26 and I've had to do this every day. I've validated and super-validated my file. I hope this helps anyone hitting the panic button.

Quicken Version R52.33
    QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.
    QEL:
    No read errors.
    QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.
    Super validation has completed.

This discussion has been closed.